ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What lens would you buy for £300?

SchwepTek™
Currently have a 400D and use it mainly at shows for taking shots of individual cars and of cars on track.

I was thinking about a Sigma 10-20 for the show stands but that would leave me with nothing for the telephoto end.

What would you do?

Mk2 ph1 clio
If you have the 18-55mm lens then i'd got for a telephoto lens tbh!

I've been to a few shows with the 18-55 and its been spot on. I still want a 10-20 eventualy for the wider angle shots but i opted for a 70-300mm lens firstly.. at least with that I can get some panning shots of the cars on the track! Which tbh, i prefer to stationary cars!

10-22 is too wide for cars, the perspective will warp them.

if you already have the kit lens then I would think about a zoom or upgrade your kit lens to somthing faster.

Cupra
50mm f1.8 should definitely be in your camera bag if you don't have one. They are cheap as chips, feel it too, but can give superb photos and allow you to take shots that would not be possible unless you were to spend some serious cash for other fast glass.

just picked up a 70-300 IS USM canon lens

fook me the photos i take are a lot better!!

jamie

SchwepTek™
What would you reccomend to upgrade the kit lens?

I have the 17-85IS but wasnt that impressed with the difference with the kit lens.

Cupra
17-55 f2.8 is a good replacement but i think that they are double what you want to pay. Maybe signa have something or else try and go second hand. I have three 2nd hand lenses and could sell them today for what i paid 2 years ago. If you don't like a lens you can sell it on and there's nothing lost.

GW RS200
Depends what shots you are looking for, but out of my 100 macro, 100-400L, 50mm and 10-22mm, it was the wide angle which provided the biggest wow factor in terms of dramatic and dynamic shots!

SchwepTek™
What glass you got now?

Now i only have the standard 18-55! I had the 17-85 but wasnt very impressed with the difference between it and the kit lens.

I am thinking that a 10-20 Sigma would cover most of my car shots which is my main subject. But maybe i should try a different lens to replace the kit lens instead?!?!?!?

Cupra
^^ Good plan. The 50mm will open a whole new world of never needing a flash and a nice DOF to play with.

Wideangles are fun, but they are not suited to all occasions IMHO.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I've been using my kit lens over the 50mm for car shots recently, at 18mm. For me the 50mm acts like a 'reference' lens, it takes amazing photos, but they're quite flat. At least at 18mm the wider angle creates more interest. Also, you can still use f/3.5 at 18mm which is probably all that you'll want as any wider and you'll be losing detail on some of the car if you're not careful.

It depends what you're after though, I'm in no doubt that better photographers than me can produce amazing car shots with the 50mm, but for me it has other applications at the moment. My next two lenses will probably be the 70-200mm f/4L and an ultra wide angle.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
If i were you i'd buy the sigma 70-300mm dg apo for motorsport and the tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Very underated, and can be had for about £250 new.

Optically its not far off the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 which is approx £1000 new.

What lens have you for already?
If youve just got the kit lens, I wouldnt get a prime. They are much more specialized lenses.
I would advise either a 10-20, or a good telephoto lens, but I dont what you would get for £300 :(

SchwepTek™
What lens have you for already?
If youve just got the kit lens, I wouldnt get a prime. They are much more specialized lenses.
I would advise either a 10-20, or a good telephoto lens, but I dont what you would get for £300 :(

I defo want a Sigma 10-20 for some cool wide shots.

However i do wanna upgrade the kit lens. I did have a 17-85 IS but got rid of it coz wasnt that impressed and needed some money ;).

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hope Chris doesn't mind me posing some of his photos from Flickr?

Sigma 10-20mm (Chris), 10mm:
408671471_c953a0346b.jpg

Canon 18-55mm (Ian), 37mm:
f280aa63.gif

Canon 18-55mm (Ian), 55mm:
aa514490.gif

Nikon(?) 80-200mm (Chris), 165mm:
1322621205_d56aeef237.jpg

Sigma 70-300mm (Chris), 300mm:
408671370_5c77c81032.jpg

SchwepTek™
Wow is that last one the Sigma 70-300 APO?

Better than i thought it was if it is!

May have to get that and the 10-20.

Ian

Focus TDCi
According to a group he posted in it's the: Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 DG Macro. Might be worth having a quick word with him lol.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
For the money, its a great lens. I had some great results from mine. No point spending £300+ on a zoom if you're not going to use it that much

SchwepTek™
I have heard the Sigma is much better than the Canon 75-300 and i'm not too keen on the idea of having the whole range built into one lens. It cant be very good quality.

Ian

Focus TDCi
If you look at the two people that have owned the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 DG Macro lens Andy, you'll notice that they are probably the two best motorsport photographers in the club. If you've got money to burn, go for whatever they replaced it with, but otherwise I'd be quite happy to get it. :)