ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What No Arguments

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Im amazed no ones questioned the Stig for getting a 17 tonne Cadillac round the track quicker than a Clio?

But then again you are talking 4.3 to 60 and there was 0.5 difference round the track.

Completly different class of car

dk

911 GTS Cab

exactly, it had a corvette engine and had been developed on the Nurburgring, I was surprised it was as slow as it was, I expected it to be faster!

... and the Stig isnt a consistent/smooth/particularly fast driver either, nothing like the previous Stig was.

A lot of it is put on for the cameras, this is what Top Gear has become - just entertainment.

Is Clarkson really faster around a track in a Cadillac that a "racing driver" with an Audi S4? I seriously doubt it.

(oh, and for the price of that boring souless American tank you could buy several 182s as well...)

300bhp MR2 Turbo

That Caddy was in the pissing rain lol. Was the Clio is such poor conditions?

I have to commend the mature way this has been taken. Id have thought all hell would break loose after that lol.

I love Clarksons comment - "Usually American cars drive you round the bend"

"Well this one ACTUALLY does drive round bends"

And it was faster than the 4.2 V8 Audi Quatro - impressive.

(Shame cause it gives us less to take the piss out of the yanks for)

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Yank cars dont get the respect they deserve - they dominate the drag racing scene with 45 yr old cars doing 9 & 10 second quarters. The equipment levels are out of this world and theyve produced some of the most remembarable and cult classic cars ever built. They are dirt cheap to buy and parts are exremely cheap + there very reliable as well. One of the new cadillac models only needs servicing every 50,000 miles !!!!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

They use cheap materials to build them. Theyre ugly (99% of the time) They have huge engines and not alot of power. (How often do they crack 100bhp per litre?) 400bhp and couldnt crack 163mph - mine can prob do that.

Theyre ridiculously large - use too much fuel for our price.

They dont usually handle at all well. They are so convinced that the USA is the most important place in the world they only cater for themselves.

On the upside - dont they usually still use pushrod engines that are easy as pish to work on?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I loved Clarkesons comment on the Minaro.

"The Australians unlike the Americans still respect our authority and put the steering wheel on the right side of the car"

browno

ClioSport Club Member

I think part of the thing with the stig not getting round clarkson in the caddy was the fact the clarkson was leading all the way - not easy to get past when youve got JC doing massive powerslides in front of you and weaving to block him getting round - will be easier to hold the position when youre in front than trying to overtake... I think if the stig had come off the line in front it would have been a different story...

Quote: Originally posted by mr_merc on 20 June 2005

... and the Stig isnt a consistent/smooth/particularly fast driver either, nothing like the previous Stig was.

A lot of it is put on for the cameras, this is what Top Gear has become - just entertainment.

Is Clarkson really faster around a track in a Cadillac that a "racing driver" with an Audi S4? I seriously doubt it.

(oh, and for the price of that boring souless American tank you could buy several 182s as well...)

do you think clarkson is a bad driver ??

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Did you not see how much it left the Audi by on the strait. It was like a Fiesta 1.1 verses and RS Turbo.

And I doubt Clarkesons a bad driver, 20 years in the business?

An orange one

in his old vids you used to see the cars broadside and if you looked close it wasnt clarkson driving..nowadays it is..hes obviously been coached somehow to what looks like a decent enough driver

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 20 June 2005

They use cheap materials to build them. Theyre ugly (99% of the time) They have huge engines and not alot of power. (How often do they crack 100bhp per litre?) 400bhp and couldnt crack 163mph - mine can prob do that.

They dont usually handle at all well. They are so convinced that the USA is the most important place in the world they only cater for themselves.

On the upside - dont they usually still use pushrod engines that are easy as pish to work on?

I am disgusted with this statement ;) - Did you know the C5 corvette and dodge viper dominate class 2 at le mans - corvette has beat ferrari and porsche for the past 3 consecutive years !!

The yanks have dominated the street racing scene in the states for years with cars capable of 7 & 8 sec quarters - not like the little tin box jap crap civics they race, im talking 2 tons of detroit pig iron that will straighten curves and flatten hills.

The cars they build are status symbols and classic icons...... i mean you dont see burt reynolds in a honda civic with a firebreathing bird on d ya... no hes gotta Trans Am !!!

I am going to buy a corvette soon - i need one

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

didnt lotus engineer most of what the c5 and its forebears in the last 20ish years?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 25 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 20 June 2005

I am disgusted with this statement ;) - Did you know the C5 corvette and dodge viper dominate class 2 at le mans - corvette has beat ferrari and porsche for the past 3 consecutive years !!

The yanks have dominated the street racing scene in the states for years with cars capable of 7 & 8 sec quarters - not like the little tin box jap crap civics they race, im talking 2 tons of detroit pig iron that will straighten curves and flatten hills.

The cars they build are status symbols and classic icons...... i mean you dont see burt reynolds in a honda civic with a firebreathing bird on d ya... no hes gotta Trans Am !!!

I am going to buy a corvette soon - i need one
Jesus man, if you dont get a yank car soon youre going to explode!!

As for Top Gear, I cant imagine anyone really cares about the lap times do they? Its just an entertainment program in the end.