ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What primer for my DIY wheel refurb? URGENT!!!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
I need to go to halfords and pick some up, but i dont have a clue about paints etc and was wondering if there is different types?

I want to do 2 or 3 layers of primer before I apply paint if that makes a difference? Or perhaps you could advise me further? :cool:

Clio MK3 Work in progress
I need to go to halfords and pick some up, but i dont have a clue about paints etc and was wondering if there is different types?

I want to do 2 or 3 layers of primer before I apply paint if that makes a difference? Or perhaps you could advise me further? :cool:

I would use etch primer, is sutible for bare metal and alloy wheels.

182/ 172 Cup
filler primer is a high build primer, use it like a thin layer of filler(rub it down with p500 or higher). always use a etch before the filler primer especially on alloy!

What colour are they going from/too?

If silver to darker: use 'grey primer'.
If you're going lighter, use 'white primer' or 'yellow primer' if you're going a funky colour from dark. The Halfords paints are really decent.

It's A Reno
If you are painting bare aluminium alloy, you need an etch primer.
Aluminium alloys hate everything including paint and will oxidize and shed paint unless an etch is used first.