ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What running watch?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hi guys,

I'm in need of a running watch and unsure which one to buy as it is a bit of a minefield out there...

My current #1 is the Garmin Forerunner:
http://www.garmin.com/uk/forerunner10

Should I be considering any better alternatives? My budget is no more than £100 and it only needs to have GPS, a 5 hour battery live with GPS on plus the usual basic functionalities. I'm only a novice runner but am currently working myself up to running the London Marathon at the end of April.

Thanks for your help,
Luke

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I went with the Forerunner 110 because it shows splits, which I thought was pretty important.

As far as I know, the 10 just shows total distance covered and the time taken, so you can't see how quickly you ran the last km or mile. The 110 gives you this information, you may not think it's important now, but if you get into it you'll want to know this information as you go. It also gives you projections, showing you how long it's going to take to reach the next km/mile at your current pace, again really useful, lets you know if you're slowing down or speeding up without realising it. For example, when gunning for a 25 minute 5k, I could aim to beat 1k per 5 minute pace.

Don't think the 110 costs much more either, so definitely the one to get.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
My input.. Why do you even want a watch? My iPhone is perfect for it. Get an arm band, and it does splits, live update if you tap. All sorts.
I did try that for a few weeks but the reason is because it's a PITA having to twist the arm band around, unlock the phone, then try to see through the clear plastic what my time/ pace/ distance is. I also find it horrible running with my phone on my arm. I get paranoid when I am out in the rain that my phone will get damaged plus i like the idea of virtual pacing and other features unique to watches. There's also the issue of charge - I don't think it would last longer than 3 hours with strava on in the background.

For the sake of £100 I'd sooner have something that's specific to what I am doing.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I did try that for a few weeks but the reason is because it's a PITA having to twist the arm band around, unlock the phone, then try to see through the clear plastic what my time/ pace/ distance is. I also find it horrible running with my phone on my arm. I get paranoid when I am out in the rain that my phone will get damaged plus i like the idea of virtual pacing and other features unique to watches. There's also the issue of charge - I don't think it would last longer than 3 hours with strava on in the background.

For the sake of £100 I'd sooner have something that's specific to what I am doing.

Ah ok, just thought I'd put it out there.

I use run keeper, and an armband I'm sure won't let it get wet. Then I have it so it doesn't lock for the whole run, and there's a setting where just taping the screen gives you an audio update. I do like running gadgets though, so I'm interested in any feedback once you've got it!