ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What suits my needs best?

350z GT
So i start my new job in a few weeks, means being away from home monday to friday staying in hotels.
Really excited but means a lot less time with my better half.

Im looking to buy a new laptop / ipad to use in the hotels but want some suggestions on what would suit my needs best.

Will be used for internet browsing, Netflix streaming, webcam chat with other half (skype etc) and maybe a little gaming.
Im intrigued by the whole ipad craze but dont know if it woulf fulfil what i want it for?

Suggestions or advice from those in the know please :)

ta

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yes an iPad would.

I spend 95% of my time on my iPad. If its just browsing, film watching, skyping you're after then an iPad fits the bill perfectly.

If you want to do word processing, photo/video editing, coding etc you'll need to buy a laptop.

If money is no object then buy a MBP, if not then buy a cheap i3 laptop (Dell, Toshiba, Samsung, ASUS) and an iPad.

350z GT
Yeah would pretty much all be leisure.
May be used for emails but thats about all.

Not sure how id get on with browsing online on the pad though, is it easy to get used to having no keypad?

Goliath I
From what you've listed iPad all the way.

You can buy a keyboard for the iPad if you prefer but you'll get used to the touchscreen. Just make sure the hotels you stay have wifi or you won't be doing anything ;)

Chav Rocket
Id get a ipad with 3G then you have the 3G as backup. If you can afford the little extra always worth it.

Are you driving or taking train? If your are taking train then maybe factor that into laptop size/weight.

Congrats on the new job!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yes an iPad would.

I spend 95% of my time on my iPad. If its just browsing, film watching, skyping you're after then an iPad fits the bill perfectly.

If you want to do word processing, photo/video editing, coding etc you'll need to buy a laptop.

If money is no object then buy a MBP, if not then buy a cheap i3 laptop (Dell, Toshiba, Samsung, ASUS) and an iPad.

i was speaking to an assistant in currys the other day who showed me 'pages' iirc its like apples own word processor that can make documents which can be opened in any word processor.

seems like a decent, comprehensive app. and i think its convinced my gf to get an ipad rather than buy a new laptop so she can do bits of work when shes working away

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Id get a ipad with 3G then you have the 3G as backup. If you can afford the little extra always worth it.

Are you driving or taking train? If your are taking train then maybe factor that into laptop size/weight.

Congrats on the new job!

Might as well just use tethering if the phone allows it!

350z GT
You have to pay for it in the hotels then? kinda thought itd be included with the room...

And does the 3g add much in price?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
You have to pay for it in the hotels then? kinda thought itd be included with the room...

It's a big money maker for them, some hotels throw it in though. Also if you sign up to some hotels loyalty schemes they throw it in as a perk when you are at a certain level.

Sadly I'm not sure Premier Inn have anything like that as it tends to be the more upmarket chains that thrown it in.

Even if it is free wifi, it's usually awful. There was free wifi at the hotel I was in this weekend. It was quicker to use 3G.

For what you're saying, I'd say get an iPad.

The only downside to that would be that if you decide to buy a DVD while you're away, you'd be unable to watch it.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I lived at a premier inn for 5 weeks a few years ago. I paid I think £30 for a month access then it was like £10 a week.

Prices have probably changed quite a bit.

Actually no they haven't:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/why/wifi.html

I found their wifi to be ok tbh but then i have a 1.5mb connection at home. But then I didn't stream any videos etc. Was using it purely for internet surfing (cs tbh!!) while I was away.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Of course, if you're willing to put up with 30 min sessions you could "cough" make the most of their free wifi with very little effort....

Buy/rent it on iTunes ?

Of course. But to buy they're pretty expensive. Same as renting from iTunes.

But I guess more accurate than buying is that there is likely to be other blokes doing a similar thing so DVD's tend to get shared around.

Chav Rocket
You can see if your operator has a decent package and get anothwr sim on your contract.

Or

Get a three pay as u go sim (thats what i used anyway) and then top it up each month for 3gb or whatever you need.

Also get one of those nano travel routers. Some hotels no wifi or s**t wifi obly a cable in the room. So use your own. They are small an cheap.
udapeze6.jpg