ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do?

BG182FF
Basically i've been offered the opportunity to head out to Canada until November, and i'm a bit stuck on what to do with the car, a couple of options I have are;

-Insure the car for a year, let the mother drive it a couple of times a month to keep it ticking over (not keen)

-Store it indoors until I return (what problems might this cause?) disconnecting the battery and chucking a few of those things in to help prevent mould

-Dont insure it, park it in a barn and get my brother to just start it up and run it up to temp for an hour every couple of weeks

The belts were done at 39k, and will be due again once it hits 100k (currently on 85k) With that in mind, is it advisable to keep it mobile? As once I came back I was going to book it for belts and dephaser anyway.

Do they suffer with many electrical/mechanical issues after being stood for time? Selling would be the obvious option, but its been faultless in my ownership and i'd be gutted to buy one that may be less reliable.

thanks in advance

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
In honesty, i'd just sell it. Personally, leaving it laid up (unless in a heated garage/in a carcoon) i'd be reluctant.

They're so cheap to buy now you'll pick one up for buttons when you get back.

BG182FF
Usually I have an inkling of what i think i'll do, but I have no idea currently. I do know if i sold it i'd get an RB next. MJ, might take you up on that! haha

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unless you can get it in a damp free garage for the entire time you're away, I'd just sell it.

Cars don't like sitting idle.

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
Insure it.
Park it up in a garage (with power).
Put a Ctek on it.
Over inflate the tyres a lot (prevents flat spotting).
Couple of drysack things for caravans inside.

When you come back to it try to get the oil moving inside the engine before firing it up, gravity will have taken over inside the engine by then.

The only other thing that would concern me is the brakes rusting up, but I'm reluctant to suggest putting anything on them which would affect their operation come your return home.

(better the devil you know when it comes to cars - if its a good one keep it!)

RB FF 182
I'm in the same position as this. Can't make up my mind either. I've sorted out bits that needed doing and it's in tidy condition at present bar a bump to the bonnet which I'm getting replaced. Think I'm going to try and hold onto mine although I probably should take the money and put it in savings where at least it won't be worth less in a years time.

BG182FF
Insure it.
Park it up in a garage (with power).
Put a Ctek on it.
Over inflate the tyres a lot (prevents flat spotting).
Couple of drysack things for caravans inside.

When you come back to it try to get the oil moving inside the engine before firing it up, gravity will have taken over inside the engine by then.

The only other thing that would concern me is the brakes rusting up, but I'm reluctant to suggest putting anything on them which would affect their operation come your return home.

(better the devil you know when it comes to cars - if its a good one keep it!)

You say about turning the engine over by hand to get the oil round - Could i just unplug the coilpack and wind over the engine? Or would this cause a fault code? As have done that with 106 gti's when fitting another engine, always unplug the coil pack and spin the engine over for a few secs