ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to look out for when fitting OMP wheel please

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Right, so got my wheel and boss today ( with horn )

I'm going to fit it myself as its not to hard a job I guess, however.. What problems can I come across?
I have got the 3.9ohm resistors for the airbag, not a problem fitting them.
What I am worried about is the level sensor or something like that?

I don't have cruise control but have ABS.
Any pictures or tips will be helpful as I don't want to be getting the service or abs light come on.
Idiots guide needed. I have seen the guide on here but it doesn't cover some points I want the answers for.

Cheers gurus.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Battery off.

Undo the torx bolts on the back of the standard wheel to get the airbag off.

T50 (60?) to get the centre bolt undone.

Pull. Careful. Don't smash your face with the wheel...

Put boss on. Do up with T50/60.

Attach horn connectors. CAREFUL ! Make sure you don't short anything.. sometimes happens.

Bolt wheel onto boss.

Crack on with life.

* Get airbag turned off in CLiP !!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I have watched them. Doesn't say anythgin about this angle sensor though.

Why get it turned off in clip if I can just put resistors on it? Don't mind doing clip but why?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
also, which one is the horn?

5sbcXJF.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The angle sensor is that black curve shaped bit sticking out just above the bolt. Try and keep that on the top and don't let it spin either way, needs to stay central at the top

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Nice! Is that the 330mm GP one?

I believe clip can turn the light off,but let's it stay on for a few seconds first so mot compliant. The resister just turns it off completely, which is fine if you know a fair mot person/station

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
A million times better.
Hardest part was working out how to get the airbag clips out.
I managed to it without taking the lower cowling off from round the steering wheel. Mainly because i couldn't work out how to get the stereo control stalk off.
That tutorial video really didn't help apart from the 3 screws at the bottom lol. It skips past the bits I actually struggled with lol.
But yeah, wasn't hard to do and fully recommend doing it. Has totally transformed the feel of the car.
Love it.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, its a 330GP
Have got to put the sticker on the horn still.
I guess they do that so you can put it I wherever you want then stick the sticker on straight.
I will be making my own sticker for the horn though because I'm cool like that.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think I'd ever go back to the standard wheel on a 1*2. They just feel so big!

The two must do mods in my eyes that's cheap and changes the way they drive is the steering wheel swap for a smaller one and upgraded dogbone mount.

Your wheel is nice size and feels chunky and solid too. Great wheel to have. The sticker is a cheap sticker though ;)

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
That tutorial video really didn't help apart from the 3 screws at the bottom lol. It skips past the bits I actually struggled with lol.
But yeah, wasn't hard to do and fully recommend doing it. Has totally transformed the feel of the car.
Love it.
Maybe do a tutorial of your own and stick it up on here to help other members on how to change to a aftermarket steering wheel,horn wires,airbag etc...now that you know how to do it:wink:.Looks good in your car though:up:.SJ.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ive done it now though so hard to do a tutorial :D

It is all in those videos apart from how to remove the stereo stalk and how to unclip the airbag.
Bit as said, you can get to everything with the bottom cowling on and the airbag is just a clip but you need to work out which way to unclip it. Took about 5 mins to work it out.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
disconnect battery and walk away for 15 mins.
Make sure wheels and steering wheel are straight.
Get your tools together.

T20 TORX
T50 TORX
RATCHET
FLATHEAD SCREWDRIVER

3 screws lower cowling. T20 torx.
Remove all 3.

Pop top cowling off.

Let lower cowling hang loose.

Turn wheel to left and prise open airbag fixing on rear of wheel.
Turn wheel right and prise open airbag fixing on rear of wheel.

Pull airbag out, needs a bit of persuasion.

Put airbag in a safe.

T50 torx to remove steering wheel bolt through centre of steering wheel.
Get a friend to hold steering wheel straight whilst undoing this bolt.

Once undone, remove steering wheel.
Again, needs persuasion moat times.

Wires: I have no cruise control so all I have is 2 airbag wires and the horn.

To remove airbag light you will need 2 x 3.9ohm resistors. 37p each from maplins.

Place resistors in either end of airbag connectors (see vid above)

Tape them up well. You can connect the battery now to see if the resistors are working. If not, they need to be pushed in all the way so double check.

Black and Red wire is the horn.

Depending on what wheel you go for will determine what you do with the horn.
Mine had a horn button so I connected the wires to it.
If no horn you will need a PH1 stalk.
I have not done that so cant comment.

Fit new wheel and do all of the removal in reverse.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I didn't bother disconnecting the battery......

Also, if anyone can help, what sort of problems you expect to be faced with if the angle sensor thing was to move during fitment?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You can move it but only a certain amount. From what I guess the issue is Serv, traction lights coming on.

Ive not looked but there are like discs that need to stay a certain colour. Becomes aparant when you look at it afaik

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
It wont move if you are only changing the wheel. Only if you are changing the stalk iirc.

Not disconnecting that battery can cause the airbag to go off. Very dangerous practice not to. Its one bolt that takes 2 seconds to undo.
Rather that than a face like @ADS1982 for the rest of your life.

dan's cast offs.
Never bother with disconnecting battery, I do wonder though how many people who insist that you do also earth themselves when they do anything with airbags?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
It wont move if you are only changing the wheel. Only if you are changing the stalk iirc.

Not disconnecting that battery can cause the airbag to go off. Very dangerous practice not to. Its one bolt that takes 2 seconds to undo.
Rather that than a face like @ADS1982 for the rest of your life.
Was born like that,on that note Im waiting for the thread Monday
"Had to catch the bus to work as made in taiwan steering wheel fell off and custom horn playing (Im a barbie girl wont shut off) ”

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Shirley if you don't disconnect the battery the horn can be engaged and make you s**t your pants if you're not careful.