ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres would you chose?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I need 4 tyres in 205/50/16V.

I basically don't go around corners, I spend all my time on the motorway, so don't really want to be dropping £600 on a set of tyres. That said, I don't want to be using budget tyres either. Looking at circa £400 including fitting.

Due to punctures etc, I'm currently running a mish-mash of tyres across all 4.

The options:

Avon ZV5 - £90 - £103 each fully fitted.
Firestone TZ300 - £100 each fully fitted.
Toyo Proxes T1R - £97 each fully fitted.

Any other suggestions? Or which would you recomend out of the above.

Please don't suggest budgets, if for no other reason than the road noise from them is awful in my experience of the couple I have at the moment.

Despite having covered probably 250K - 300K miles, I actually haven't had to put too many tyres on for one reason or another.

Edition 30
T1R for me.

But I'm no expert.

There are probably better tyres for motorway miles though mate.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
The Toyo's are actually £115 each with fitting included.

Avon and Firestone are winning, lol.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
T1-rs are great but don't last long enough, the firestones seem to last fairly long.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Skimping on the 4 contact patches isn't a good thing

It's hardly skimping is it.

If I were suggesting I would put £20 remoulds on, or even the £50 budgets, I could understand.

None of the brands I have asked about are particularly 'poor' tyres are they?

Listerine & Poledo
in fairness, at the moment, given you're not going to be going "Hero of da twistiez", maybe a set of all-weather options would be a good idea?

Goodyear NCT's or similar?

RS6 C7
I would buy these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270790174565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Slightly different size but it will fit your car and these tyres are very good, Toyos are apparently dreadful in the bad weather.

Toyos are reasonable in this size:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyo-Proxes-T1R-195-45-16-Tyres-1954516-195-45-16-x4-/310349538189?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A195%7CAspect+Ratio%3A45%7CDiameter%3A16&hash=item484246238d

in the size you requested toyos are reasonable, You will be able to get them fitted anywhere for £40 so it still works out cheaper than your price.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-New-205-50-16-Toyo-Proxes-T1-R-87W-2055016-205-50-16-/160578571028?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A205%7CAspect+Ratio%3A50%7CDiameter%3A16&hash=item25633a8b14#ht_728wt_952

Let me know where you from as i know a few local people to me who do very good deals on tyres.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
why 205 / 50 / 16s? and not 205/45/16s or even 195/45/16s

Because that's the size of the tyres that are on it and the size of the tyres that are standard.

in fairness, at the moment, given you're not going to be going "Hero of da twistiez", maybe a set of all-weather options would be a good idea?

Goodyear NCT's or similar?

I'll have a look.

~£445 fitted.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....eite=15&Transport=P&F_F=1&dsco=110&sowigan=So

Is it possible to go with 205/55/16? Will be a lot cheaper being a popular size.

I will have a look at the 55, but sure I tried it before and there wasn't a huge amount of difference.

My tyres confused the fcuk out of me with the fitted / not fitted, I was searcing fitted, then when I went to click through to the checkout, it was asking me for delivery etc.

I've just paid £320 for 4 195/45/16 conti sport contact 3's fully fitted! Have you checked blackcircles? Always seem to be cheapest for me!

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
have you tried blackcircles.com, when you come to pay for the toyo's there is a discount box if you write in TOYO you get 15% off for my 182 that makes the T1R's £155 fully fitted

Listerine & Poledo
OUCH! Just found the prices for the NCT's.

A bit more than when I was using them on the MX-5

But, on clack circles

Falken Ziex ZE-912

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Yeah the website is dire. If you do get it wrong, just call up and ask to change the order. The service has been spot on when I've used them.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Are the all weather tyres a decent compromise between running summer & winter tyres?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the website is dire. If you do get it wrong, just call up and ask to change the order. The service has been spot on when I've used them.

Changing to 55's improves the range massively, so literally have hundreds of options now for under £400.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd still opt what I - and now Daniel- have posted. If you can get to grips with the mytyres website that is lol. They are a very good tyre.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I was just using them to show you. I paid (from memory, it was about 4 weeks ago) £320 or £340 all in from our local tyre and exhaust centre.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly a completely retarded question:

Is there any reason at all that 55's would not fit on a Focus? Bearing in mind that it has 50's on there now.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
First of all, pay your £12 you minge. Ffs.

Secondly, read. This is a thread about tyres for a ford focus. Doofus.

x

Minge ? LMFAO ! I can't be arsed right now, I'll do it at some point, probably. Hasn't stopped me doing anything I normally do yet anyway !

I got about 10 posts in and it still didn't say what it was for. There's a Clio in his pic and no note of his car... so I clearly assumed it was a Clio.

Anyway, either ring up Camskill and get something decent (their website is shiny and bright) once you've found somewhere to fit them, or black circles fully fitted price.

Also, as mentioned above, don't scrimp on the only thing(s) that are between your vehicle and the ground ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Possibly a completely retarded question:

Is there any reason at all that 55's would not fit on a Focus? Bearing in mind that it has 50's on there now.

You'll be fine I'm sure. My bus is supposed to have 50s but I went to 55. Assuming it's standard (i.e.: not decked) it'll be ok. If it's not ok, blame McBurger Arms.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It is standard.

And as I said earlier on, I wouldn't say I was scrimping when looking at mid-range brands. It's not like I was looking at putting remoulds or Arrowspeeds on there (I do actually have an Arrowspeed on there at the moment, lol.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
205 55 16v or sometimes w are cheaper is one of the most common sizes hence they are cheaper and more choice the will fit urs.

if your doing alot of motorway driveing go for something like barum bravantiuris, conti contact, bridgestone er300, dunlopfast responce will last alot longer than most other tyres avons toyos pirellis michelin are softer and will wear out faster.

tyreshoper is quite cheap nor fitted prices.

A mate of mine has just got some dunlop sp sport maxx in 205/55/16 from camskill for £61 notes each and rates them so far, not sure what the wear is like yet obv. but if you're buying tyres to last you need to be forking out extra for michelins. Buy from camskill and get someone local to fit - should be between 5 and 10£ per tyre fitted and balanced.

ben lee - the only michelins that wear quickly are the pilot sports, all of the others will outlast most other tyres. I've had a set of pilot primacys on in the past for 60k - and that was going at a fair pace round corners!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I can get Michelin's from a local place for £88 a tyre fitted, so it looks like it will be Michellin's TBH.