ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats better 2 seperate 12inch sub boxes or one big box with 2 subs in it.??

clio mk1 phase 1
hi all new to this community. i have a 1.2 clio mk1 phase 1 .

i just want to know whats better in giving me low bass notes having: 2 seperate 12inch sub boxes in each back corners of the boot or one big box covering the whole of the back boot but 6inches depth (need the space in the front) with 2 x 12inch subs in it. ?????:S

welcome to ClioSport

im no expert, but i would say it would be better for each Sub to have its own box.

Nike Lunar Elite's
Definately 2 seperate boxes.

However, if you are just looking for some low bass, you are better off putting your cash together to just get the 1, higher spec, sub.

Polo + Micra
the main reason to have seperate boxes is if one fails it will probably take the other one with it due to one sub being the box made for two.

myself have build a box with two subs in and i don't think it is any different to two seperate boxes

Skoda Fabia vRS
aslong as the subs have there own air space and are sealed seperately, it doesnt matter if they are in the same 'box'

I'd run them in the same airspace but make sure the airspace inside the box is the airspace for each sub but doubled.

As said above, I'd rather spend double the money on a single sub and a decent amp. It will sound much better than two cheaper subs and a cheaper amp.

1.2 16v clio
my mate as got 2 subs which are only 600 watts each thats peak. and they are in sperate boxes and them boom well good. but then ive got a alpine type S nowt spesh but its not a proper cheap 1 and it booms pretty well aswell so aslong as u have good amps for the subs then it will be rather good.

Polo + Micra
yeah i thought i break my box with the two 400wRMS subs in it giving them 600 each from a 1000/1

but it drops low and it also is tight with it aswell probably due to the amp having a fairly high damping factor for a class d

clio mk1 phase 1
o right so having 2 seperate boxes for each sub is the way forward then. im also registered with talk audio forum and i asked this question to them and blady after 13 posts of shat talk they just confused me. lolz.

Polo + Micra
kundi13 said:
o right so having 2 seperate boxes for each sub is the way forward then. im also registered with talk audio forum and i asked this question to them and blady after 13 posts of shat talk they just confused me. lolz.

lol they are all guru's on there they know what they are talking about it's just sometimes they don't realise the person asking the doesn't understand the answer

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The higher the frequency the easier the ears can pinpoint the direction the sound is coming from, left or right. The lower the frequency, more correctly the longer the wavelength, but its the same thing, the less the ear is able to distinguish direction. Two ears located 150 mm apart can't detect the phase difference resulting from different distances from the point the sound is generated when the wavelength is in meters. There's no point in separate sub-woofers for left and right channel, especially in the far from ideal audio environment of a car, because the ear can't tell which of the low frequencies sounds its hearing are coming from where.

GOLF GT TDI
there is no difference what so ever as long as with the twin box you have a divider in it, you should never run two subs in a boxbox without a dividing wall

Polo + Micra
Stu_c said:
there is no difference what so ever as long as with the twin box you have a divider in it, you should never run two subs in a boxbox without a dividing wall

why not?

clio mk1 phase 1
ye why will i need a divider in a twin box? is it because they might get damaged from the inside of the subs?

Polo + Micra
the only difference between a twin box(no divider) and two boxes is that if one sub fails in the twin it will kill the other

Skoda Fabia vRS
Irfan said:
I'd run them in the same airspace but make sure the airspace inside the box is the airspace for each sub but doubled.

As said above, I'd rather spend double the money on a single sub and a decent amp. It will sound much better than two cheaper subs and a cheaper amp.

nah thats wrong mate, it will sound shite

Skoda Fabia vRS
Stu_c said:

this is correct

Skoda Fabia vRS
kundi13 said:
ye why will i need a divider in a twin box? is it because they might get damaged from the inside of the subs?

because they need there own air space

clio mk1 phase 1
i see. i will make 2 seperate boxes then for each back corners of the boot. thanks for help and stuff.

Polo + Micra
they don't need there own air space

i'm sure i would have found out by now if they did

clio mk1 phase 1
o right.., but i think making 2 seperate boxes will be easy as opposed to building one big box.

Monaro VXR
Dink said:
they don't need there own air space

i'm sure i would have found out by now if they did

Most people reccommend they have there own airspace though gives them a better sound.

clio mk1 phase 1
probably right wozzaa. give me about 2 weeks or so and i'll have my boot install pics on here.

GOLF GT TDI
every sub needs a certain amount of air capacity to work to the best performance, if a sub box is not divided each sub has a larger capacity that is required therefore will move alot more in the box due to the pressure behind them is less, this can in some cases make the subs for a milisecond or so stop moving therefore melting the voicecoil inside.

GOLF GT TDI
if your making your own sub boxes just be very careful on the air capacity, buy the subs first and it will say inside the air space needed, the advantage of single boxes is you have more choice of how you what them to be layed out unlike a twin where they are fixed together.

BRUN said:
nah thats wrong mate, it will sound sh*te

Why would sharing the same airspace sound poo? I'm running 2x 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch subs, 500 watts RMS each. They are sharing the same airspace and I'm running them off 2x Alpine MRDM1000 amps, giving just over 11000 watts RMS at 14.4v at 2ohms to each sub. As you may know if your clued up on your gear, I'm not your average chav who uses some budget splx subs run off some cheap splx or mutant amps. I've spent a lot of time and money on it and I ahve a fairly good expeirence with ICE in general.

I've not had any problems at all with the subs sharing the same airspace and many other people have found the same. People say that if a sub fails then you will kill the other one, but you'll hear the difference when a sub fails so you won't really have this problem. Just make sure if the subs are sharing the same airspace and they are running a separate amp each, then you do need to set them up with an oscilloscope to make sure your not driving one sub slightly harder than the other.

Polo + Micra
do whatever the f**k sounds best to you shag

as i said earlier:D

i'm more drunk than ever lol:clown:

Monaro VXR
Irfan said:
Why would sharing the same airspace sound poo? I'm running 2x 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch subs, 500 watts RMS each. They are sharing the same airspace and I'm running them off 2x Alpine MRDM1000 amps, giving just over 11000 watts RMS at 14.4v at 2ohms to each sub. As you may know if your clued up on your gear, I'm not your average chav who uses some budget splx subs run off some cheap splx or mutant amps. I've spent a lot of time and money on it and I ahve a fairly good expeirence with ICE in general.

I've not had any problems at all with the subs sharing the same airspace and many other people have found the same. People say that if a sub fails then you will kill the other one, but you'll hear the difference when a sub fails so you won't really have this problem. Just make sure if the subs are sharing the same airspace and they are running a separate amp each, then you do need to set them up with an oscilloscope to make sure your not driving one sub slightly harder than the other.

Would be good if you did the right maths....2 x 1000w @ 2ohms does not make 11,000watts rms. It makes 2000 according to my knowledge. Plus i doubt a 500w RMS sub could actually take 5500w rms somehow :p

But looking on the REAudio website at the box configs for 2 of my subs they use a non divided ported box.

Polo + Micra
Stu_c said:
every sub needs a certain amount of air capacity to work to the best performance, if a sub box is not divided each sub has a larger capacity that is required therefore will move alot more in the box due to the pressure behind them is less, this can in some cases make the subs for a milisecond or so stop moving therefore melting the voicecoil inside.

both subs would be pushing on the same airspace so the pressure inside would be the same as one sub in a 1/2 size size box:S

Polo + Micra
yeah it is all about having it there if you want it

i usually run mine on +5 on the hu and it is set up to run full tilt at +15

clio mk1 phase 1
lolzzz i duno what to say really too many bad reasons for having 2 subs in one box so i reckon 2 seperate boxes should do the trick.

BMW Z4 3.0i
GordonD said:
The higher the frequency the easier the ears can pinpoint the direction the sound is coming from, left or right. The lower the frequency, more correctly the longer the wavelength, but its the same thing, the less the ear is able to distinguish direction. Two ears located 150 mm apart can't detect the phase difference resulting from different distances from the point the sound is generated when the wavelength is in meters. There's no point in separate sub-woofers for left and right channel, especially in the far from ideal audio environment of a car, because the ear can't tell which of the low frequencies sounds its hearing are coming from where.

I don't think he's asking because he suspects having two boxes will give him stereo bass. I think he's asking because there are issues with air pressure affecting the sound waves.

2 boxes are better IMO

GOLF GT TDI
I have had an epicenter fitted to my system and just blown out my back window need to buy a new one :(

wozzaa said:
Would be good if you did the right maths....2 x 1000w @ 2ohms does not make 11,000watts rms. It makes 2000 according to my knowledge. Plus i doubt a 500w RMS sub could actually take 5500w rms somehow :p

But looking on the REAudio website at the box configs for 2 of my subs they use a non divided ported box.

OWNED :(

It was a typing error, the birth certificate of each amp shows just over 1100 watts RMS at 14.4v at 2ohms. Rockford stuff is often underrated but I agree, I don't think they would handle 5500watts either lol. They do take more than 500watts easily though :)