ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the best stuff to clean stainless with

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
No idea, but I have been using Brasso on my exhaust tips was they got some bad scratching on them, and its worked a treat! Will post a pic later if i get the time...

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Autosol or autoglym metal polish if you're looking for something relatively cheap and works well.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Autosol is very good and lasts forever.

Auto finesse mercury.

Barkeepers friend is a stainless steel polish.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
What about burnt on carbon?

I read a thread on detailing world where they used a circular drill attachment with loads of flaps of sandpaper on but can't find them anywhere :(

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
if you dont mind scatching it, this is no good for a mirror shine

Of course it is! You clean it up with the wool/pad, then work it with a MF cloth to polish it.

I did my entire impreza exhaust and it was mirror perfect!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I was going to ask this..

My meg has alot of built up carbon on the tips and I cant shift it.. Any suggestions?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Really?

I've read it back and I sound like a prick. It wasn't meant to come accross like that, sorry.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols. You've done a lot of apologising this week.

Anyway. 00 guage wirewool and autosol from halfrauds. Done.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
no you are quite right, he did ask how to clean it and didnt mention polishing it anywhere! As im polishing mine at the mo I guess I added that to the question myself! lol. The way I read it in my head, it didnt come across in a bad way either :)

What about burnt on carbon?

I read a thread on detailing world where they used a circular drill attachment with loads of flaps of sandpaper on but can't find them anywhere :(

Flap wheels:http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Flap+Wheel/p91986

Tbh 40 & 80 grit are a little to abrasive I would look for a slightly finer grade. Also don't be tempted by the wire wheels far to abrasive.

When I worked as a fabricator we cleaned up stainless steel with these:-

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Sanding+Block/p84314

* I have never tried one on a stainless exhaust but stainless tubing is stainless steel tubing at the end of the day. I cleaned up my welds with it worked a treat.

This will also work great with abit of autosol or similar:-
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...g/Loose Leaf Buffing Wheel /d80/sd2694/p47630

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I have a wheel for my grinder that works well for that... looks like this and works better than a flap wheel. I think they are called finishing disks...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSegU-OJ_8O1wWXLV5J4oXbHGYZjXL0UohUSkzEzyOvHgKiKfU5wQ.jpg

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
not even the ones that are like the green stuff on the back of a sponge? I can t see that hurting an exhuast tbh...

not even the ones that are like the green stuff on the back of a sponge? I can t see that hurting an exhuast tbh...

The grinder works at a much higher RPM though than a hand held drill, plus a drill is much easier to control and the flap wheels are much smaller in comparison.

A green Scotch pad from the kitchen should be ok by hand I use it clean up metal at work all the time like mentioned before Wire wool is good aswell.