ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the best style no. platepicsplease

VRS

i need new plates doin but dont know what type to get, i did have my personal no. in 3d with a border nd a st georges flag on the left but wondering if any1 can show me pics of theirs so i can see if there are any other styles that look good!

ps. dont want anything doin that looks really obvious that its illegal if you know wat i mean! ie . letter spacings etc

cheers guys hopefully some of yours will inspire me!

2005 Impreza WRX STI

get normal lettering on a blank plate if u can. ie no writing on the bottom from where u got it from! may have to look hard for some tho in mags or internet!this looks the best

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by makavelli on 03 August 2005

thought that was illegal now though? havnt u got 2 hav where u got it from on the bottom of the plate?
Yeah you do. I think there is also a little code in the bottom right hand corner of the plate that only comes on legal plates. Therefore making it easy for the coppers if they feel like earning some more revenue.

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B

even on an old car like mine? im sure if you have to replace them if they break the code wont be there anyway.

and i dont fancy have Northen Radiators on mine..... lol thats where its from apparently

fancyplates supply ones with no markings other than the letters.

Dont forget, you dont have to have the makers information on the plate if it was made before the regulations came in, officer ;)

You could just get a plain one but get it cut down to the legal 11mm border round the edges? I was gonna get a cut-out one like gtgrafix used to supply where all the letters were properly cut round but theyve stopped doing them! :-(

I know!

I might ask fancyplates to see if they can do them actually - they were quite expensive from what I remember, but worth it for old-bill-annoyance value LoL

2005 Impreza WRX STI

yes the name under the plate is only on new plates! say u had them for a few yrs b4 the new rules came out!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Ive only ever been pulled once about mine and ive had it on about a year - and they didnt pull me for the plate - they pulled me for speeding..........

Touch wood.

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B

lol that last one reminds me of the sound of when you do the airoplane to a small child. Niiiiiaaaawwwwwmmmmmmm

lol

How many horses does each of the little silver stick on badges add?

Any do the stickers in the window add more cus they are bigger?

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 04 August 2005

Miaow...

For whoever asked - I got mine from http://www.fancyplates.comwww.fancyplates.com. You have to ask them for a specific size if you want it cut down so I just worked it out using the legal dimensions off of the dvla site. :)

clio 182 black /gold

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 04 August 2005

Im not sure i will ring vauxhall and ask them why do they stick little silver badges on a corsa. The big sticker is promoting my famliy business seeing i don,t have a van i thought the car would be enough.

The number plate has a silver shadow around the letters hard to see in photo.

Quote: Originally posted by makavelli on 04 August 2005

white16valver did u cut it down to size yourself??
Nope!

If you look at http://www.fancyplates.com/step2.php?front=&back=&reflective=no&bothwref=no&slantontext=no&comments=&plate_set=set&frontother=&backother=&registration=YOUR+PLATE&font=font13&shadow=normal&border=no&&side=back&bottomtext=&manufacturer=miscellaneous&logo=nothis page, you can see where you can put in the alternative dimensions to standard. I worked mine out using the rules on the dvla website.

Namely:

Each standard, correct font letter is 50mm wide.

1s and Is are 11mm wide

The height of each letter is 79mm.

There must be 11mm between each side of the letter and the edge of the plate (i.e. an 11mm border round the registration)

The gaps between the letters in the groups is 11mm

The big gap in the middle between the groups of letters is 33mm.

So... a standard registration without any 1s or Is in it is:

11mm border + 50mm letter + 11mm gap + 50mm letter + 11mm gap + 50mm letter + 11mm gap + 50mm letter + 33mm big gap + 50mm letter + 11mm gap + 50mm letter + 11mm gap + 50mm letter + 11mm border Wide

=11+50+11+50+11+50+11+50+33+50+11+50+11+50+11

= 460mm in width

and 11mm border + 79mm letter + 11mm border high

= 11+79+11

= 101mm in height.

So I just asked for 460mm x 101mm in the Other (please specify) box(es).

It might be worth asking for a 461 x 102mm plate actually, as mine has come back 1mm short due to cutting tolerances I imagine - bugger all really but probably enough should a jobsworth bobby decide to get picky...

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Standard plates are best.

Why would you want to draw attention to the number plate (unless its a decent private reg)? The reg is the ugliest thing on a car.

My are absolutely plain font. No 3d going on, no hex background, no border, no makers name. Totally plain. (the ones on my member profile are the old ones so ignore them)

Fancyplates do them totally plain and they send them out with loads of sticky pads and the screw and screw holders (2x black, 2x yellow and 2x white).

VRS

im after simple plates and rekon i wud keep the back plate plain and normal size but i like white16valvers smaller front plate! think it wud suit my private plate