ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's your idea of a good mod/theme.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Due to the increasing threads that slate's other people's mods/theme for cars i thought i'd add a good mod thread to see there "idea of a good mod" and see if other people agree or even hate there's.

This doesn't have to stay to the clio's so any cars in general, I know that taste is different to us all but that's the point of modding the world would be a boring place if everyone had the same taste.

I do like a few mods
"rat look" if done right and only on vw's
And the euro stanced look also do like the clean subtle look.

Remember this isn't a thread to **** people off, but too see if your taste is as the same as everyone else's remember its easy to slate a taste/mod but harder to come up with one that most or even everybody likes.

Feel free to add your own pics and thoughts.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i think putting a good stance on a car is the best possible mod. some cars look better with a subtle approach. some look amazing when they go all out with crazy stretch tyres etc

the clean and simple approach looks good, as in having everything colour coded and on some cars a small amount of smoothing. not into OTT smoothing everything though

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
The rat look, when done properly looks amazing,

car20a.jpg

it's just a shame that most of the time they're normal cars with fake rusty bonetts & roof racks full of useless crap,
or utter heaps of sh*t passed off as rats.

I also quite like Nato green cars.

38650_10150243590815383_582010382_13952337_3211321_n.jpg

Mk1 Focus RS
not really a fan of the rat look, probably because i like a car looking immaculate as possible.

but dont mind the euro look if its done properly, and i hate sticker bombing for some reason!

much prefer subtle mods to cars

Listerine & Poledo
Any mod that involves taking the Manufacturers' service guide and sticking to it religiously gets my vote.

I know that, with those stripez, I can't pull a moral high-ground

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Any mod that involves taking the Manufacturers' service guide and sticking to it religiously gets my vote.

I know that, with those stripez, I can't pull a moral high-ground

Lol, so your idea of a good mod/theme is absolutely none at all? ;)

Although I guess pure oem is a theme in itself.

CursedTitanium 182FF
The mod I'm pleased with at the moment is fitting the Negative (Blue) quick release clamp to the battery.

gp554.jpg

Bought from Maplins, the Positive (Red) to get it to fit you will need to mess with the original wiring, so I didn't bother with it.
Makes it simple to disconnect the battery if you are always tinkering with the car.

A cheaper alternative is to use a bicycle seat clamp.

IMG_5034.jpg

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
My idea of a good mod is simple-

It should blend seemless into the car & not look like a mod- a mod should look OEM

S

Listerine & Poledo
Anything that you would need to explain why it looks "good" is a bad mod/theme

FOr road cars, this includes having roll cages, fixed buckets and multi-strap harnesses.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I think the answers to this thread would be more telling/interesting if the question was "If you had to choose one type of mod, what would it be?"
I am an OEM guy but for me, it is lowering a "tad" (not slammed so it is undriveable).
I can think of no more effective a mod than when you look at a car that looks completely standard and think, that sits really well on the road.
It can be applied to anything from a supermini to an M3, doesn't come with any stigma etc.

Listerine & Poledo
What if the car is used on road and track?

If it's competitive track time, then it wouldn't see the road.

If it's just track days, then surely the majority of its time is on the road, so why make it look like a track refugee?

May as well slap roundels and sponsor livery on it too..... Monster Energy stickers?

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Exterior, Im into the OEM appearance, with subtle hints of change here and there. Interior wise, I like well finished fast road idea, dark painted half cage, dark buckets seats, false floor with a little sound deadening and carpet so it doesnt look and feel ripped out. I suppose along the same lines as the R26R's but a little more discreet.

172/1.2/E30
If it's competitive track time, then it wouldn't see the road.

If it's just track days, then surely the majority of its time is on the road, so why make it look like a track refugee?

May as well slap roundels and sponsor livery on it too..... Monster Energy stickers?

Not always true as Rallye, hillclimb cars etc. need to be registered and road legal over here.

172/1.2/E30
Why not? I commute 30 miles every day in a yozza'd and track prep'd 172. It's fun. Am i stupid? Maybe. Am i a chav? Hell no.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Subtler the better for me. OEM+, but with mods focused on improving performance. First car isn't mine, second is.

Standard;

standard Clio 2.jpg

Mine (what I call OEM+)

OC_Clio1.jpg

The fact its track is wider, lower, handles better, stops 10x better, and will soon hopefully 'go' significantly better, doesn't mean it needs to look 10x worse or 10x different. I can't understand significant changes to bodywork, lexus lights, 'smoothing' etc. If you don't like the look of something in the first place, why buy it. Plenty of other options out there....

But hay, each to their own. I suspect i'll be branded boring for my lack of individuality above, but I don't really mind as I'm the one who sits in it.

Caterham, Z4
I like stickers me. Nah.

I like what is often called 'club sport' spec. A good smattering of track stuff, but with enough comfort to drive to the 'Ring. Or the shops. Nice suspension (but the option to soften it off and retain ride hight), uprated brakes, sensible sized wheels, decent rubber, tidy exterior, partial strip inside but retaining creature comforts like AC and a radio, half cage, comfy buckets, harness, carpets, door trims, no sound deadening, etc. Clean, tidy, purposeful, track and road.

Not a hunk of junk or so hardcore it doesn't work on the road.

R26.R more or less got it right from factory although IMO it needs a stereo and 2 sets of wheels... R888s are a pain on the road. Why not a set of slicks and some proper rubber for the road?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Me personally think the oem+ looks no different to standard and boring imo.

As for a road legal car done as a track car with cage,buckets,harnesses "shouldn't be used on the road" if it's used on track then it's being used for a purpose, not every person can afford to buy a second car and trl just to tow the track car too and from the track.

Infact when i had my car booked into the mot station a few miles away rather than me towing it there i drove it, i had more enjoyment driving it there and back than when it was standard.

Last edited:

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
for a daily driver mine would be

standard bodywork
decent size wheels - prefer OEM looking wheels.
good stance - not too low though.
OEM looking replacement front seats
rest of mods being mechanical...

for a sunday best car (showing off car) or track car it would be different.

Listerine & Poledo
OEM "stance"
OEM Wheels
OEM Appearance.

If I had a stack of cash to blow on the 172, I'd do:-
Samco hose. Panel filter, stealth SS system (a well silenced one!) and some rortier cams.

No sense in trying to make it look like some sort of track warrior, as it wouldn't be. Besides, if I had a stack of cash to blow on the 172, I'd actually.
Go to a garage, part ex. Clio, buy AMG / MX-5 / Brabus

172/1.2/E30
OEM "stance"
OEM Wheels
OEM Appearance.

If I had a stack of cash to blow on the 172, I'd do:-
Samco hose. Panel filter, stealth SS system (a well silenced one!) and some rortier cams.

No sense in trying to make it look like some sort of track warrior, as it wouldn't be. Besides, if I had a stack of cash to blow on the 172, I'd actually.
Go to a garage, part ex. Clio, buy AMG / MX-5 / Brabus

G(r)ey stripes aren't OEM appearance afaik.

Listerine & Poledo
they sure aint.
if I bought one without them, I certainly wouldn't go adding them.

Mind, semi-cages and a lack of interior isn't very OEM either

Inferno 182
The best theme can be any theme aslong the person modifying the car has plenty of money, you go to car shows or track days and see the top of the range modified cars, who have the money to get it proffesionally done and completely finished. Then you drive down your local mcdonalds and see some 17 year old chavs attempt to modifying his car by putting lexus lights, a £30 sub in the boot, eyelids and anything else he can pick up from halfrauds...and attempt to fit it himself.