ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bearing going after only 1500 miles

S2000
I recently (about 2 months ago) had a wheel bearing changed on my Mk1 Ph2 1.4RT clio as it was getting a bit noisy. I only had the front passenger side one changed as that was the only one that needed changing. In the past couple of weeks I noticed that the noise was coming back and presumed it would be the drivers side one - but it seemed to be coming from the passenger side.

I have just checked all the wheels for any play and they are all fine (no play whatsoever) apart from the front passenger side wheel which had a very small amount of play. This clearly indicates that the wheel bearing I had replaced about 1500 miles ago is now starting to go again I would think.

Is the garage that replaced the bearing initially liable for replacing it again as they should not be needing replaced after only 1500 miles. I just want to know what the situation is before I go up there - do I have any right to a free replacement etc?

Thanks.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
if they supplied and fitted the bearing, they should replace it as the bearing should come with some kind of warranty - That is assuming you've not done anything to cause it (crashing through potholes, wrong offset wheels, etc).

S2000
Thanks mate. I'll speak to the mechanic tomorrow. Could it have anything to do with the way the bearing was fitted or is it just going to be a faulty part (i.e. could it be the mechanic to blame as since having it fitted I have heard a few bad things about him)?

I do have some alloys waiting to be fitted but they have not been put on yet as I still need to sort the insurance so I will be leaving them off till the bearing is replaced so that it cannot be claimed that these have caused it.

S2000
I phoned the garage earlier on to see what the situation is and what he said on the phone was that if the bearing was going already it would most likely be caused by the carrier???

By this does he mean that the hub itself will need replacing and if that is the case should he have noticed this when replacing the bearing?

Basically what I want to know is whether or not it is likely that he is trying to fiddle his way out of a duff job by blaming something else?

Thanks.

there will be a warantee with the bearing i have just replaced all my bearings and i have the noise still there but i was told that if it has been gone before it was put in there then they will replace it but you can never tell if the bearing has gone till it is in unfortunatly they are pressed in bearings so the only way of taking them out is if they get bashed out so you will never tell if it has gone butit could be the hub carriers gone it turnes out that mine is the rear stubb axle whitch is casing mine to make the noise all you can do is find out where he got the beaing from and fone them to ask what warrenty it has tell them who fitted it and see where you stand chances are that they will pay for it to be replaced
hope this helps
ps where is this garage by way and its name

S2000
The garage is in Edinburgh and it's a guy called Alan Drysdale - why?

So do you think if it is the carriers I will not be able to get it replaced for nothing and should he have noticed this before changing the bearing?

If it is the carriers will the best thing to do just be to get a hub from another clio and replace the current one with that one - as I think I will be able to manage that myself.

yeah i think that if you get a new hub carrie then that would be best but make sure you get it with the bearing but if the hub carrier was gone then he should have noticed that before her replaced the bearing but you dont know if it just went cos things like this are not a millage thing they can go when they like i would find out where he got it from and fone them to see what warrentie you have witht he bearing

S2000
Thanks mate.

Just to confirm a couple of things - if I got a new hub from the scrappies would this solve the problem and how much is it likely to cost from a scrappies?

If it is the carrier (by carrier does it just mean the hub as I'm not too sure exatly what he means) should he have noticed when changing the wheel bearing because if he should have then I will try and get him to sort it all for nothing?

Thanks.

If a bearing keeps going then it probably means your hub is bent.

Mine kept going every 1500-2000 miles and i did about 3 bearings before getting a new hub on there. Still fine now.

S2000
BenR said:
If a bearing keeps going then it probably means your hub is bent.

Mine kept going every 1500-2000 miles and i did about 3 bearings before getting a new hub on there. Still fine now.

Thanks mate. Should this have been noticed by the guy who replaced the bearing? Is there anyway to check if this is the case for sure before I go replacing the hub?

I've also noticed that if you jack the car up and just spin the wheel it seems as though the brake disc is always rubbing when the wheel is spinning? Will this be related?

Am I OK to drive the car if the hub is bent or should I try to avoid driving it?

Thanks.

its basically impssible to spot.

you can drive on it, until the bearing goes.

probs the cause for the brakes rubbing.

S2000
The bearing started making a noise again about 300 miles ago so will I be OK for a few more huinder miles do you think?

Thanks for all the advice by the way it really is appreciated.

Is the hub relatively simple to replace - as I'll probably give it a go myself?

buy either a new hub to ensure its perfect, but they aint cheap, or get a s/h one and take the risk (not many bend though as they are massive peices of cast iron, it took almost rolling the thing at goodwood to bend mine....and a hydraulic press to bend another.

Actually, they could of bent your hub when using the press to remove/install the bearing. Hapens often when they dont push them out properly.

Installing it isnt hard, disc/caliper off. Bottom pinch bolt off (can be hard if corroded), 2 bolts from suspension strut, remove hub, install new one with bearing and bearing carrier in it.

S2000
Cheers mate. I'll take the wheel off and have a look at everything to decide whether i'll give it a go myself. I suppose the thing is that if the garage had bent it when changing the bearing there is no way of proving it anyway.

I take it there are no special tools needed?

Will I probably be OK to drive it for a few hundred miles still as I have only been noticing the noise for about 300 miles?

How much would a garage charge to change the hub if I supplied the actual hub?

Thanks.

you'll be fine driving until the noise gets really bad.

No special tools unless your replacing the bearing.

No idea how much a garage will charge, depends on their labour rate.....about £80-100 average for labour i would say.

And you wont be able to proove they bent it, they will just deny it.

S2000
Cheers mate - don't know where I would be without people like you on the site, lol.

It's just so frustrating after spending £70 to get the bearing replaced in the first place - and it's not as though I'm loaded as I'm just a poor (tax dodging) student ;)

No doubt I'll have another post up soon needing help to change the hub.

Thanks.

S2000
BenR said:
lol, no worries. Its not hard,

technically only 10 bolts.

lol - only ten chances to fcuk up then - I suppose it's twenty actually as I have to take it off then put it back on ;)

S2000
I also seem to actually get some vibration through the brake pedal and ever so slightly through the steering wheel when braking quite hard or from high speed - could this be related to the hub problem?

Also had just the left side of the car lock up once or twice (only really happend when wet) - could that also be related to the hub problem?