ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bolts

clio 1.2
Hi I am thinking of running 16mm spacers with my 172 wheels and was just wondering what length wheel bolts I would need I was thinking 35mm any help thanks.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My normal advise would be: get hubcentric adaptors that bolt on, if you expose an additional 16mm of thread then the amount of stretch will increase massively and you will risk them working undone, especially if they get them hot breaking hard and then corner hard.

I guess if its a 1.2 for pottering to the shops and back though you will probably not have a problem, but its still nasty IMHO to do it that way.

Megane r26
My normal advise would be: get hubcentric adaptors that bolt on, if you expose an additional 16mm of thread then the amount of stretch will increase massively and you will risk them working undone, especially if they get them hot breaking hard and then corner hard.

I guess if its a 1.2 for pottering to the shops and back though you will probably not have a problem, but its still nasty IMHO to do it that way.

I agree with chip there, that's spacer is rather large an I would certainly consider a hubcentric even though they are more expensive you can put a price on safety.

What sort of extra strain/load will these put on the hub/wheel bearing? That's one thing that had always put me off spacers.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I agree with chip there, that's spacer is rather large an I would certainly consider a hubcentric even though they are more expensive you can put a price on safety.

What sort of extra strain/load will these put on the hub/wheel bearing? That's one thing that had always put me off spacers.

The extra load is no different to the wheel bearing to if you run the wrong offset wheel, yes the loads are increased, but its not exponentially so or anything like that, nothing really to worry about despite lots of advice to the contrary on various forums etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What about handling? Would running a larger spacer especially up front effect the handling?

What it will normally do is improve stability when cornering hard on a fixed radius, but also introduce additional bump steer, it will also alter the ackerman characteristics slightly.

So basically what you get generally is, more grip (and hence higher ultimate corner speed) but worse handling (caused by bump steer and tramlining)

Different cars do react differently though, so in some cases its worth the trade off and in others it isnt.

Megane r26
What it will normally do is improve stability when cornering hard on a fixed radius, but also introduce additional bump steer, it will also alter the ackerman characteristics slightly.

So basically what you get generally is, more grip (and hence higher ultimate corner speed) but worse handling (caused by bump steer and tramlining)

Different cars do react differently though, so in some cases its worth the trade off and in others it isnt.

Similar to the effect of running wider bars on me mtb, wider bars give greater stability downhill an speed especially but your more effected by the ruff stuff.

But narrower bars are better for the twisty and tight slower sections.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
what size bolts do 172s run, are all Renault ones the same length?

if I wanted to run 5mm spacers on the rear are there any slightly longer I could from a scrappy or raid my mates garage?