ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels, stay 16" or go to 15"

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just debating what to do regarding wheels. The Clio will be 90% road and maybe 3-4 trackdays a year (being realistic) and a trip to the Ring.

So, for the sake of 3-4 trackdays should i just stay 16"? i'm thinking of a wheel change :eek: and thinking OZ Ultraleggera in 16"... or just go 15".. Either anthracite 2118s :eek: or again Ultraleggeras in 15"

Going on an RB 182

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Im sure this is relevent to the OP so Il throw this in, how does the smaller wheel affect the revs etc at motorway speeds?

revs on the motorway should be no noticeable difference because 195 45 16 and 195 50 16 are very nearly the same overall circumference.
I vote 15s, cheaper tyres, comfier ride, + probably lighter.

really so why did Renault who do years and years of testing make 16's standard then ?

For aesthetic reasons. They wanted to make it look more sporty so they would sell more cars I'm guessing. 15s are better, you can't really argue against that. Cheaper, better ride, better handling..

PB Clio 172
For aesthetic reasons. They wanted to make it look more sporty so they would sell more cars I'm guessing. 15s are better, you can't really argue against that. Cheaper, better ride, better handling..

dont agree with you at all

cheaper- not really depends what make you want
better ride- no they are still 45 in size
better handling-no depends what make of tyre you have

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have had 16's and 15's and I honestly cant say there's a noticeable difference.

Go with what you prefer the look of imo.

LOL ok,

Quick example of tyres from camskilll. vredestein sportrac 3 - 195 50 15 = 55.90
vredestein sportra 3 195 45 16 = 60.64
dunlop sp fast response 195 50 15 = 46.20
dunlop sp fast response 195 45 16 = 72.10
just 2 tyres which are in stock in both sizes. not cheaper for 15s??

how can a higher profile tyre = not a better ride??? not saying it is bad on 45s but will be better on 50s

most 15" wheel and tyre combos are lighter than an eqivalent 16" one, lower unsprung mass etc = better handling. Pretty sure the cup cars have chunky sidewalls? and you can have the same brand of tyre in 15" and 16"....

is1

Integra Type R DC2
James is correct on all points.
In fact, the price difference becomes laughable when you compare the factory 205 45 16 with a downsized 195 50 15 when going from 16s to 15s.
For example, a PS3 in 205 45 16 is about £120 fitted whereas a PE2 (better tyre) in 195 50 15 is about £60 fitted!

James is correct on all points.
In fact, the price difference becomes laughable when you compare the factory 205 45 16 with a downsized 195 50 15 when going from 16s to 15s.
For example, a PS3 in 205 45 16 is about £120 fitted whereas a PE2 (better tyre) in 195 50 15 is about £60 fitted!

Yes, didn't notice the OP had a 182 which is 205 45 16, not 195 45 16 like the 172. In that case the vredestein ones are £92. compared to 55.90 for 15".
No identical dunlop tyre for comparison but the nearest dunlop is £86.89. compared to the £46.20 for 15".

Clio 182FF

All other things being equal, a 15" wheel will be better than a 16" one.

Renault Clio RS182
I'm thinking of going down to 15", the money saved on tyres will cover the initial outlay on wheels...just gotta pick some now :D

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I think tyres is 1 key area, I'm running Michelin Exalto in 205s and probably cost over £100 each. I imagine the same in 15" is considerably less. Another thing for me is the look, obviously has to look just right, it's a deal breaker so I don't want to spend good money on something like an Ultraleggera in 15" to like them in the shop but hate them once on the Clio (done that already this month!)

The other option is to sell the rims that are on there at the moment (Speedline Turinis) and fork out the extra for the Ultras in 16"

Keeping it OE in size but a different rim or drop a size. IMO there's not a lot of aftermarket wheels that suit the Clio, I actually like the OE anthracite 182 rims. Either way at least they'll look good as its nice and low, there's nothing worse IMO than having decent rims on a car that looks like a 4x4

PB Clio 172
I think tyres is 1 key area, I'm running Michelin Exalto in 205s and probably cost over £100 each. I imagine the same in 15" is considerably less. Another thing for me is the look, obviously has to look just right, it's a deal breaker so I don't want to spend good money on something like an Ultraleggera in 15" to like them in the shop but hate them once on the Clio (done that already this month!)

The other option is to sell the rims that are on there at the moment (Speedline Turinis) and fork out the extra for the Ultras in 16"

Keeping it OE in size but a different rim or drop a size. IMO there's not a lot of aftermarket wheels that suit the Clio, I actually like the OE anthracite 182 rims. Either way at least they'll look good as its nice and low, there's nothing worse IMO than having decent rims on a car that looks like a 4x4

answered your own question in your own words really ! :rasp:

RB 182 Cup
I run 195/50/15 tyres on my 182 Cup, ran the same size on my Mini Cooper S Works as well. I really like how these two cars drive on 15s, more comfort but a more progressive breakaway and better grip in wet conditions too I think. I think slightly more tyre wall flex actually helps the tyre grip better.

I also really like the look of a slightly bigger tyre wall and on a wide 7" rim, the way it stretches the tyre slightly.

But at the end of the day, I guess it's a personal preference thing, both on looks and feel

Clio DCI 65
Id say..go with whatever size you like, but try to keep as close to stock size as possible and go down the plus sizing route if your going down a wheel size. If you dont then your gonna get false mph readings on your speedometer and maybe clock up a few false miles while your at it.