ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When do you stop spending money?

clio 182
I have spent a fair bit on my Clio and bar a new steering wheel. i think it's pretty well sorted..

Then what ..... :weary:

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
depends on the car and how much you value it.

If for example it was a porsche 964 turbo then spending 1-2k per year sorting things out wouldnt be much a bother because to me the car is priceless.
So if you don't value your 182 in the same way lol there will always be a limit.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You will get to a point that you just stop spending money. Or get bored of spending money on the car and sell it. Then repeat, probably.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
This

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418734770110.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418734770110.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 84

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Depends entirely on what you plan to use it for, your budget and your commitment.

My advice, if you don't plan on keeping it for the long term, then don't spend anything on it other than maintenance, smaller mods like Whiteline etc.

In terms of how much you could spend. The answer, is lots. It never stops.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Previous clios ive spent hundreds. Think you get to a stage and just don't. Current car is spot on for what I need, so unless I win the lottery it will be cheap and cheerful add ons. Guess it depends on circumstances, how much disposable cash you have each week/month

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Normally once I've done most things bar expensive e engine upgrades I normally get bored and change car

Might be different when I can afford 2 cars and have a big money project along side a daily

If you buy the right bits (used) you effectively could spend thousands and only lose maybe hundreds by selling them again when you move on. Think of it as renting upgrades.

When I get board of a car.
Half the fun for me is building it and adding more parts.
I don't look at the money I put in, more the vision I have and il spend what it takes to get it there.
Meaning all my cars are a loss but I do it for the love not the money

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You don't.

RenaultSport ownership is like being a parent with kids explaining to someone else who has no kids that 'you won't understand until you have your own'...

You'll fix it, it'll work briefly, it'll break some more. You'll spend a lot of money on it, it'll break, it'll continue to break, you'll fix it.
Then just then, for a small period of time, everything will work, it'll go like the hammers of hell passed that BMW driver, it'll go round your favourite bend on three wheels, it WILL simply put a smile on your face.

RS ownership gets under your skin, you don't ever leave, you simply take absence to reflect on how you can get yourself into a better RenaultSport. Its not a life choice, its a life style....!

clio 182
I was in the mini owners club, and this was the same with my minis, they broke and then they had moments of brilliance, my Clio is like the older brother of my old mini, a bit more refined , but still a pain in the arse..
Wouldn't be without it, and what would you get for the same money, that would put the same smile on your face..

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Why is there this mindset that you need to modify a car?

Just service it and keep the perishable items from getting dangerously low and leave it.

Just because you have a quickish car doesn't mean you need to change every little thing on it.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Just wanna put this out there, depends on what kind of person you are!

Some will spend endless cash and never stop modding, they'll always find something else to improve their car and buy it. Some will think "it works and I'm happy" and stop buying upgrades. It depends who you are more than the car alot of the time IMO. Unfortunately for my bank balance, I'm one of those who gets bored easily and always wants to improve everything.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Bluetooth adapter and fitted the cup spoiler but that's it.

I couldn't find a decent specced one with the cup spoiler so I had to fit one myself and the bluetooth adapter is because I don't want an after market head unit.

And your too much of a tight arse to spend any more money on it...

Like me! I bought wheels because they were cheap and springs because they were even cheaper

clio 182
I think like my mini of old... little bits make it individual.. There's a point though, when you have new wheels , exhaust, etc, that there's nothing left to do....
Haven't really spent that much.. but then i totted it up maybe i have... I know i've spent a shed loads on polish..

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
And your too much of a tight arse to spend any more money on it...

Like me! I bought wheels because they were cheap and springs because they were even cheaper

Meh, keeping on top of tyres and servicing and jobs a good un.

Although I do fancy some Laguna wheels as a set of winter wheels or to put some sticky wider tyres on.

clio 182
to be fair the newer clio's are a better made all sorted car so I suppose you don't really need the add on's ..

Listerine & Poledo
I stopped spending on mine when the belts service was going to cost the worth of the car.
So it got part-ex'd instead

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've already spent way more on modifications than the car cost in the first place... I decided a while back that I was 'over halfway' on my ownership, therefore that was my cue to stop spending money and enjoy the thing!

big boost cup
I've spent thousands on mine
Was a daily then got more and more track focused now it's got to the point of chasing numbers records etc. I've now set a goal with the car but once that's achieved I will probably go number chasing again.