ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When replacing a Dephaser Pulley...

172 cup
Are the belts a necessary job? My Cup has done 75k and I'm most likely selling it this year, but I wanted to replace the Dephaser pulley before it goes so it doesn't sound like a tractor when idling :)

Just wondering if it would be best for the car and the sale if the belts were changed at the same time? I figured it would make it a more appealing buy to somebody if they knew it was good for years to come, it's something I'd look for anyways!

Lionel Richie
you'd be the dumbest/pikeyest muppet on the planet if you didn't change the belt kit (yes it is a MUST DO)

172 cup
He means cos he's a tech and we find that a silly question

I understand that thank you, just took exception to the condescending undertones in his post and yours to be honest. Fred is as "tech" as anyone, he gave a blunt answer but it was humourous unlike the post above.

No biggy- got the answer i was after thanks :)

Lionel Richie
LOL sorry mate, i am a bit blunt sometimes! at least you checked, and no it isn't a dumb question, i've been asked a lot worse!

Clio 172 Cup
I understand Fred's far greater experience with these engines, but in my opinion (which I am not claiming is right! before I get abuse, it is only one man's view point) if the belt kit was done 3000 miles ago I wouldn't do the kit, but only the belt and cam seals. The bearings won't have done any work and aren't effected by time to the same extent as the belt.

£14 for the belt as opposed to £125 for all the tensioners, etc, which you know have been changed 3k ago.

Lionel Richie
^fair comment, if it was my own car i'd do the same, customers however - no chance would i do it nor would i put a warranty on it either

lesson 1 - NEVER retension old belts (even if they're new)

172 cup
^fair comment, if it was my own car i'd do the same, customers however - no chance would i do it nor would i put a warranty on it either

lesson 1 - NEVER retension old belts (even if they're new)

Lesson 1 is something I learned years ago after having my fiesta cammed at a reputable and well renowned garage, and it having issues due to them retensioning belts instead of fitting new.

Lesson 2 turned out to be never go to that garage again, and ask owners of that marque car the best place to go... Not a magazine!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I understand that thank you, just took exception to the condescending undertones in his post and yours to be honest. Fred is as "tech" as anyone, he gave a blunt answer but it was humourous unlike the post above.

No biggy- got the answer i was after thanks :)

Sorry I do apologise next time ill just be blunt