ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

where’s my power gone

Ive had problems with a slipping clutch on my 16v for the last month or two. Whenever I put my foot down the revs would go up but with little effect on speed. Got it fixed (new clutch) and got the car back on Friday but have noticed that the power band that comes in at 4-4500 rpm has gone. I have also noticed torque seems to be down. During the time of the clutch slipping, the car had a service, and the plugs and leads were changed. The leads I put on didnt seem quite as thick as the ones I took off so does anyone know if this will have a great difference? They were motoquip standard ht leads, so not performance leads or anything like that. Has anyone had the same problems. Would poor quality ht leads make such a big difference, and can anyone recommend a decent set. Also do performance leads and plugs make any difference at all?

they dont amke too much of a diff, as std Renault used very good plugs and excellent HT leads as std.

You bought renault stuff right?

Thanks for replies yes the new clutch is definately fine. Ive tried it up hills going slowly in 4th and 5th and there is no slipping. The new leads I put on werent renault parts, they were motoquip or something like that. Like I say they looked quite thin compared to the leads I took off, but they said clio 16v on the box, so must have been designed for the job. Is there anything else that would be causing the power loss? Ive looked at the filter and that seems fine so ive no idea. The plugs I put in were the recommended champions so it cant be that. Anymore ideas?

bosch are crap...champion are fine, i use NGK then Champion, purely because their heat ranges are far better.

yep a few brake below ben h s stage 2 valver, and over 10 lbs more torque than his and anyone elses at the last rr day

No the plugs are fine. I even put the old ones back in just to check and it has made no difference. Ill try changing leads again for the proper Renault ones and see if this makes a difference.