ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where do I stand - FAO Daniel, Steve, traders et al.

A friend has purchased a 1.6 Clio from a dealer.

They bought it on the assumption it needed a service. Being 2 hours away they drove it home to be serviced at a local garage.

Emissions light has come on (I suspect lambda sensor) and then at the service it transpires it needed front discs and pads which they've paid for and also needs shoes and drums which they haven't had done.

It is also failing to idle when cold without revving it to keep it going. After 10 seconds or so it finds idle and seems fine (what's this likely to be? ICV?).

Where do they stand in regards to the dealer. My thoughts is they've knowingly sold a car that needs work.

Warranty on the receipt is listed as 3months gearbox and engine?

What action do I need to take? Call them? Take it back?

Info from people in the know appreciated.

Thank you :)

RS6 C7
I don't think you will get anything regarding brakes but the problem with the idle would / should be covered by them though.

Wait for Dan's opinion although it's worth a call!

Cheers Dan. Kinda my thoughts as well.

Not out to exploit anyone but equally the reason they went with a garage is because they didn't want the associated risks of a private sale.

Racing Blue Clio 182
How old is the car ? As said I doubt ud get anything from the dealer for the brakes if it was sold knowing it needed a service and there service items altho if you made enough fuss youy might get a contribution towards the brakes as abit of good will as per the management light and not idleing that should be covered

Racing Blue Clio 182
16v ? Or 8v ? If 16v K4M engine disconnect battery and remove and clean the throttle reconnect battery and start it should idle then

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Was there a warranty with the car-

How long since they bought it?-

Some dealers sell PXes without even driving them- so might have been a trade in.

S

No idea what the going rate is from a dealership for 1.6's to be fair!

1.6 16v 2003, 65k, fsh and cambelt changed 2010 at 58k, 6m tax, mot'd oct, good tyres all round and tidy car in black.

I've seen it for the first time today and it looks alright bar the obvious faults listed. Paid 2200 I think.

No idea if it was a px or trade in. Or how long they'd had it. Sold with 3 months engine and gearbox warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone.

I thought I'd update this rather than leave an empty thread (like a what car thread where no-one knows what the OP purchased).

Took it back to local garage and plugged diagnostics back in... turns out O2 at fault as suspected. Called the garage where car was purchased and they said bring it in and they'll take a look at it. Hopefully any problems should be fixed FOC.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm on my phone. I have a lengthy reply to this but I'll do it when I'm next on a computer.

If you need any help, pm me mate. X

Cheers Daniel, very kind of you, your input is always welcomed. The supplying garage seemed to be fairly cool on the phone according to her, so hopefully shouldn't have any trouble. That said, my gut instinct was take it back straight away for them to have a look at,regardless of the 2 hour drive.

Cup In bits
And I believe you have a comeback on a private sale even if the seller puts 'sold as seen'

If he/she knowingly sells a car with defects or advert isn't accurate and you have a copy of this then you have a grace period of some kind by law.

Dom littlewood done a little section about it on his show.

I thought with a private sale it was only if you lied about it. For example you couldn't say a caravan didn't leak or have a damp problem if the seller asks directly. However you don't have to disclose it?!

Not sure on that. Private sale is take your chances in my opinion!

53 Clio's & counting
you actually have 6months fit for purpose warranty i believe on all cars bought from motor traders

Fred's right.

As a trader, every car I sell has to be fit for purpose - this mainly means I have to give a warranty of sorts for 6 months, although there are gray areas, so lets say you purchased the car for 25% under it's value then the trader has a right to argue that side - in simple terms if you buy an E46 M3 from a trader for £3000 and it breaks a week later, then you kinda should have expected it.

But in a case like this I would have said the idle problem the garage should cover, but if the brakes were legal, and were legal and safe for a while then they shouldn't have covered that - of course if they were 95% worn then I'd expect to have covered the cost of replacing them as in a month or so time they would have needed replacing and there for the car was not fit for purpose