ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where to mount go pro on a trackday?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
My homemade one was an old tube from a floor lamp. Drilled 2 holes to suit the headrest bars so it isnt bolted to them, but they pass through it and its held in by the headrest. Then just a standard handle bar camera mount for the camera itself.

mix

Clio 200 & BMW 330d
Generally I use a 3m sticky dashboard mount on top of the clock console with a secondary cable tie just in case. Most operators are happy with this :)

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Used my mount at the weekend so reminded me to add some photos for this thread:
I also found the 197s has the same width of head rest bars, but the rest doesnt drop as low as the 182, so i added a couple of tapped threads and bolts to hold the bar in place.
Ignore the other holes, that was my early idea to use the similar mounting to the mounts shown earlier in this thread.
20160915_191605a.jpg
20160915_191619a.jpg

L200
Here's mine - it's probably a little bit vulnerable but it's only a cheap GoPro copy. It's a wifi version so I should be able to start it before the start of the run.

Attachments

• 20160922_104805.jpg
    20160922_104805.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 160
  L200
Ahh right... Surely the whole car would break the beam as it goes through?

Yes but rules are rules and all that! The timing strut has to be set at a certain height and has to be the most forward bit of the car. Everything is timed to a hundredth of a second so it does need to be accurate!

Clio 172 (CUP)
And mine, cage clamp plus odd bits from an old cheap car phone holder to get it near eye level and being able to tweak the position. Have ordered a bracket to add to this for a rear facing camera in the same position....

0fac701b80ea532040827c513e0443c8.jpg

L200
Here's some footage from my el cheapo camera mounted on the front panel: shows the timing beam on the start line James.

Please ignore the video - this was my first time at Charmouth - I will be quicker tomorrow (although today's time did beat the Welsh class record) !

Clio 172 (CUP)
Well done on the time, albeit a bit short for my liking the course does look fun.

On your camera does it have the 720p60 option? Might find the motion capture is better although maybe YouTube is affecting that. Oh and your date needs seeing lol. Thanks for sharing.

L200
Yeah it is a bit short! And it's a 350 mile round journey to get here!
I'm going to try and hit some apexes today!
The camera does have a higher resolution setting but I couldn't use it with the camera on the front as I have to start recording efore joining the queue so I'd run out of memory. Will try it today inside.

Well done on the time, albeit a bit short for my liking the course does look fun.

On your camera does it have the 720p60 option? Might find the motion capture is better although maybe YouTube is affecting that. Oh and your date needs seeing lol. Thanks for sharing.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Btw, I don't bother with 1080p as it consumes too much memory compared to the gains, it's all about the frame rate - higher is better with motion filming. Good luck today!

L200
I use a simple clamp (photo attached) . I've clamped to the passenger seat (video here - - a bit of vibration) and to the roll cage / ROPS (video from yesterday here - - very greasy!)

Attachments

• 20160926_101037.jpg
    20160926_101037.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 79
  MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
It's a heavy duty velcro loop, rated at 7kg of grab.
The mount has a loop it threads through to pull it tight and take the slack out, then fold it back on itself for the grab :D

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Would be interesting to see if people have some ideas for the trendline seats too.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Lets have some evidence, perhaps a bumpy roundabout or similar lol

I'll happily throw him my GoPro and a mount to film a blast, if he's up for it.

I'll give it a run in my Polo tomorrow for you, but don't expect anything dramatic from my 74hp!

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
It's more the bumps and heavy cornering etc rather than speed tbh

But please don't loose your licence over it lol

Had to improvise in the Polo, the strap doesnt quite fit the OEM headrests.
So I did this instead.
Does that still count as a fair test?

3c8af7aecdeaf4ed5b9be2f50df34e27.jpg

Will upload video i got in abit.
Took the scenic route for some country lane action.