ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which cage now?

GazzaCup

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4 Coupe & 182 Cup
33303159204_d4f865f292.jpg20170312_
Hi

I have been waiting for the new SD cage to drop.
Now it has, seen some negative comments. I was 100% going for SD but now I have no idea.
For the money, whats the best MSA spec cage for the Clio?

by gazoff, on Flickr

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Whether I know more is questionable at times but here goes :)

It's the old style one, the new cage is a big improvement over the original (I know I'm one of those with negative comments about it, this is purely down to the lowering of the harness bar)

As for which is the best, how deep are your pockets? A 6 point bolt/weld in style cage is perfectly fine and will in most cases meet Msa regs (be careful and check first though), however a multipoint weld in cage such as the one custom cages do (as an example, others are available) will be much stronger and help to stiffen the chassis more compared to a more 'basic' cage, these do understandably command a much higher price in comparison though

Clio 220 PH2
I agree with @Ads29 on this multipoint cages are very expensive I know I went down the custom cages route, don't get me wrong the cage is amazing it looks really nice and makes you feel super safe. The other thing you need to think about going down this route is the extra work of moving the wiring multi plug as the custom cages one uses that hole to meet the suspension turrets also the bulk head gets cut up for again the cage to meet the turrets so some good metal work is required and silicone haha ;)
Hope this helps on the custom cage side of this I love my cage it's spot on for me. I do have pictures if required where it all connects :)

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I agree with @Ads29 on this multipoint cages are very expensive I know I went down the custom cages route, don't get me wrong the cage is amazing it looks really nice and makes you feel super safe. The other thing you need to think about going down this route is the extra work of moving the wiring multi plug as the custom cages one uses that hole to meet the suspension turrets also the bulk head gets cut up for again the cage to meet the turrets so some good metal work is required and silicone haha :wink:
Hope this helps on the custom cage side of this I love my cage it's spot on for me. I do have pictures if required where it all connects :smile:

Sounds like yours is the international multi-point cage.
The clubman 6 point MSA cage like I have doesn't connect to the turret and doesn't require the extra work for the loom.

IMG_5015.JPG

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I agree with @Ads29 on this multipoint cages are very expensive I know I went down the custom cages route, don't get me wrong the cage is amazing it looks really nice and makes you feel super safe. The other thing you need to think about going down this route is the extra work of moving the wiring multi plug as the custom cages one uses that hole to meet the suspension turrets also the bulk head gets cut up for again the cage to meet the turrets so some good metal work is required and silicone haha :wink:
Hope this helps on the custom cage side of this I love my cage it's spot on for me. I do have pictures if required where it all connects :smile:

Any images of where you moved the multi-plug too? also the washer bottle?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've got the new safety devices cage (upgrade from the old) brilliant cage. The lower harness bar is actually better, as with my very low seats the original was a little too high.

That's interesting as it's the lower harness bar that's been putting me off, don't suppose you've got any photos of how it sits relative to your seats have you?

Thanks

Ads

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
That's interesting as it's the lower harness bar that's been putting me off, don't suppose you've got any photos of how it sits relative to your seats have you?

Thanks

Ads

IMG_0694.JPG

Passenger side seat has lower outlet holes for the seat belt

Clio 220 PH2
Any images of where you moved the multi-plug too? also the washer bottle?
I moved the multi plug about 20mm to the right of the original hole (cut the bulk head) and with a bit of a push it fits nicely I will try and find some pictures for you
I don't have a washer bottle anymore it's doesn't fit I would need to make one so I just left it out and I always carry window cleaner with me lol

GazzaCup

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4 Coupe & 182 Cup
Great. Thanks everybody.
Spec would be 6 Point, would love to have better but its all about budget until I land my first major sponsor ;-)
Cheers