ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which FW HDD are you using?

Mk2 Golf GTI
After some extra storage. I keep my 100gb music library on the MBPs internal disk as I use the computer for DJing and would rather not rely on external drives for this purpose. But I don't want to clog it up with videos.

Really like the look of the g-techs.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500G...-USB20-and-FireWire400-800-5400rpm-Oxford-934

Is it possible to get a 3.5" drive that doesn't require external power? I like the size and portability of the 2.5" drives but they aren't really big enough for my liking.

I'll get both eventually but for now that's not an option.

Go cry to your momma!
All 3.5" need external power dude, there's no real way around it.

You can get 1TB 2.5" drives now but I'm not all that sure they can be bus powered as they have more platters so need more power for the motor - I'm no expert though!

I've got a 320gb 2.5" which is powered by my MBP no problems at all. Would that be enough storage for what you need?

Mk2 Golf GTI
I think i'd want something a bit bigger than a 320gb. But then it's probably not essential as I will get a desktop drive too eventually. I've already got a 1TB hard drive that i'm going to reformat from NTFS to FAT 32 (Windows to Mac) but I need something to transfer it all across first.

Is FAT32 read and write on mac and windows?

Is there a better alternative for me to use that can be used on both systems?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I think i'd want something a bit bigger than a 320gb. But then it's probably not essential as I will get a desktop drive too eventually. I've already got a 1TB hard drive that i'm going to reformat from NTFS to FAT 32 (Windows to Mac) but I need something to transfer it all across first.

Is FAT32 read and write on mac and windows?

Is there a better alternative for me to use that can be used on both systems?

NTFS can be r/w in os x, easiest way is to just use macfuse.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I did do a mod for it but since I did that the drive seems to have been playing up a little. Not sure if it's just coincidence or whether something did actually go wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=9Q_BrBk5KsI

I think i'll just back the old drive up, reformat it as NTFS again and then just buy a portable that's only compatible with the Mac. My PC doesn't have FW anyway so no worries there.

So any suggestions for a 500gb portable? I really want the g-tech but it's £50 more than similar sized drives

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I did do a mod for it but since I did that the drive seems to have been playing up a little. Not sure if it's just coincidence or whether something did actually go wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=9Q_BrBk5KsI

I think i'll just back the old drive up, reformat it as NTFS again and then just buy a portable that's only compatible with the Mac. My PC doesn't have FW anyway so no worries there.

So any suggestions for a 500gb portable? I really want the g-tech but it's £50 more than similar sized drives

Use macfuse rather than changing the fstab.

Firewire for the speed id imagine.

Nobody wants gaps inbetween the crossovers....especially if your a DJ. ;)

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've got a Drobo which I attach to my MBP via Firewire 800. Quality piece of kit, if a bit overpriced.

Mk2 Golf GTI
Needs to be FW as I have a midi controller and a digital vinyl simulation box that take up both USB ports. And I don't want to use a hub!