ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which new canon?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
looking to upgrade my camera, currently rocking a 350d

got a couple of lenses for it etc so want to stick with cannon,

mostly for wildlife and motorsport photography

budget of £600 ish

me thinking 40d?

Cupra
I'd go for the 50D over a 40D if possible. It has a better LCD for starters and you can manually correct the focus per lens.

Oil Burner
50d for that budget, albeit its due to be superseded before long, so either hold out for its replacement or buy up a cheaper 50d after its been replaced.

Personally i would switch to Nikon whilst you don't have too much kit.

And thats not even a joke.

Just got a 50D last month - I had a 450D, then a 500D - now the 50D

The build quality, weight, feel and button layout is superb - sooooo much better than the entry level 450/500/550 series

It cost me £700 but there is a £50 cashback offer on at the moment - so £650 body only

You can get it cheaper online though if you shop around

Also for motorsport photography you'll love the continuous shoot rate - it's the best you can get without spending £1200 on a 7D

As for switching to Nikon - epic LOLZ

Seriously go have a play with a 50D - they are sooo much better than the entry level stuff - especially for motorsport photography

Also just remembered I think the cashback offer is £65 not £50

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I'm the same as Fuzzy. Switched from a 350 to the 50d last month. Feels big to start with, but a LOT more solid. Screen is MUCH better and obviously more FPS :D

Cupra
50d for that budget, albeit its due to be superseded before long, so either hold out for its replacement or buy up a cheaper 50d after its been replaced.

Personally i would switch to Nikon whilst you don't have too much kit.

And thats not even a joke.

I also agree with this... but shhhhh.

Oil Burner
Laura, No idea if your local or not, but if your heading up to BTCC @ Brands this weekend then let me know and you can have a go with the 50d.

I jumped from 350D to 40D and that was immensely nicer to use. If you don't want the bells and whistles of video, get the 50D over the probably soon be announced and way more expensive 60D.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Laura, No idea if your local or not, but if your heading up to BTCC @ Brands this weekend then let me know and you can have a go with the 50d.

Based in manchester, no plans for |BTCC this weekend :( thanks for the offer tho!! :)

desicions desicions

172 5HED
Kirk-NewCannonPics6.JPG

I lol'd

I jumped from 350D to 40D and that was immensely nicer to use. If you don't want the bells and whistles of video, get the 50D over the probably soon be announced and way more expensive 60D.

The 60D has no appeal to me

It seems that Canon are just starting to compete against theirselves

The 60D will probably be knocking on the door of £1k and with video - but I don't use video and for that money I'd have a 7D

It used to be easy to pick a Canon dSLR that suits you - now there's so much overlap between the pro, consumer and prosumer ranges it's a bit complicated

Megane
I used a 7D and loved it but alot of people seem to have problems with it? I am using a 40D now, used a 500D for a while and after using the 40D for a day I couldn't go back!

Megane
The X00D has its benefits such as being able to alter settings on the screen is easier etc, but the x0D is just so nice to hold and has a really nice weight to it too

You can set the 50D up so you can change the settings on the screen too mate ;)

Mines setup so if I press the button in the middle of the jog dial the settings come up on screen - then I can move around using the little joystick and change the settings using the jog dial

I like the dedicated auto-focus button too - really handy

Megane
You can set the 50D up so you can change the settings on the screen too mate ;)

Mines setup so if I press the button in the middle of the jog dial the settings come up on screen - then I can move around using the little joystick and change the settings using the jog dial

I like the dedicated auto-focus button too - really handy

People keep going on about its custom function for the AF button but I don't get it :S Whats the difference between that and keeping the button half way down?

You can turn the button half down thing off

So if I'm taking a shot - I use the AF button to auto-focus - then I can rattle a few shots off without it keep re-focusing
It's the same as auto focusing then dropping the lens into MF to stop it doing it
I just find it kinda handy lol