ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which ReanultSport Clio?

Fabia VRS
considering upgrading my power and i want to stick with the clio. so ph1 or ph2? then 172 or 182?

all opinions welcome!

Fabia VRS
Re: which rs?

sorry, which one would you say is best? for power compared to price, the ups and downs of both etc.

Fabia VRS

ive had a brief look, i know ph1 is a lot cheaper, and the ph2 182 hold their value, so the ph1 172 would be good for price, but then i dont know if there is much you could do to the engine.

182's don't hold their value.

The engine is the same in each one. None of them are worth troubling yourself with really unless you want to spend mega money. Buy the best one you can afford in whichever colour you like.

Ph1 T

182's dont hold their value at all i bought mine 6 month ago worth no where near as much now

Mk1 Focus RS
It all depends on your budget pal. I wouldn't worry about power unless your planning on chucking between a 1000-2000 pound on it for little power gains.

When I was looking for a RS I knew straight away I wanted a FF 182 so that's what I went for.

And I would worry about value because all of them depreciate especially in this current climate.

All comes down to preference really so just go for the model you want most mate.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Most important thing is finding a tidy example. Especially if you decide on a ph1, which makes sense if you are looking for bang-for-buck. Saying that, some early ph2s are around the same sort of money, or not far off.

Petrol Blue 182.
Most important thing is finding a tidy example. Especially if you decide on a ph1, which makes sense if you are looking for bang-for-buck. Saying that, some early ph2s are around the same sort of money, or not far off.

This^ you can get a 51 plate ph2 for roughly the same as a late ph1, tbh I'd go for a ph1. You don't tend to see them as much on the road as you do with the Ph2's. I kind of like that exclusivity

Fabia VRS
thanks for the advice everyone. theres things i like about the ph1 and others about the ph2, so will have to have a good think. any ideas about the 172 or 182?

the car would be my daily.

220 Trophy
Shop around and spend your time researching. I wanted a PH1 because IMO they look better and also have the lighter aluminum bonnet, cable throttle and big valve head etc etc, plus although I was going to track it I didn’t want a Cup because I still wanted the ABS for the wet, so I waited until I found a perfect 22k mile 10 year old PH1, one owner from new and traveled from London up to Bolton to collect it. Was worth it because it was literally still like new. I think I bought it for around £2.5k.

(I then proceeded to rip its guts out and turn it into a track monster, but had a solid low-miler as a starting block to do so)

Last edited:
  Sunflower Ph1 172
thanks for the advice everyone. theres things i like about the ph1 and others about the ph2, so will have to have a good think. any ideas about the 172 or 182?

the car would be my daily.

Depends on your budget. As a daily it's likely you'll want all the options, so a full fat 182 is probably best. However, I love the ph1's, so found a rare example... needed a little work, but I love it. It was also less than half the price my mate sold his FF 182 for a few months ago.

Fabia VRS
bit new to all this so sorry if its a stupid question but what is a cable throttle? also the big valve header? and how does the cup differ?

i think at the minute its looking like a ph1. ive got a ph2 at the minute so would be nice to have a change!

220 Trophy
bit new to all this so sorry if its a stupid question but what is a cable throttle? also the big valve header? and how does the cup differ?

i think at the minute its looking like a ph1. ive got a ph2 at the minute so would be nice to have a change!

These kind of questions are all things you need to find out for yourself, search on this site and on the net, but to start you off - a cable throttle on the PH1 is what it sounds: a cable operated throttle as opposed a newer drive-by-wire (electronic), the advantages of the throttle cable will come if you ever tune the engine. The big valve head (not header) is again what it sounds: the head (the top part of the engine) has larger valves to allow more air/fuel in and out, the newer models had smaller valves presumably for Euro emissions (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), again these help if you start tuning the engine. You need to research yourself the differences between the different models including the Cup but basically the Cup was a more track focused model with lighter windows and not as luxurious interior, one of the mechanical differences was that it didn't have ABS which some prefer on the track, but as I said I actually wanted ABS for when I drive in the wet on the track.

Go do some research and happy hunting with your car.

220 Trophy
ok thanks, really appreciate all the advice mate!

No worries mate. Obviously I'm going to be biased but get yourself a PH1 172!! Without wanting to sound flash I could/can afford (within reason!!) whatever car I wanted but still chose a PH1 as a basis for a track car, I think they look much better than the later PH2's and 182's and they come with a few sexy bits like the alloy bonnet, cable throttle, head etc.

For my weekend buzz I started off on Ducati's then realised I was going to kill myself so bought a 200 for the track but then was ruining it by taking it on track so did some research and thought I'd buy an old PH1 172 and turn it into a track monster, I can honestly say it's more fun than the 200 so don't think anything bad about going for a PH1 rather than a newer PH2 or 182.

Only problem is you will get the bug and end up spending a fortune tuning it, spend enough though and you'll be able to ruin the day of GT3/M3/R8 drivers on track!!

Last edited:
  Fabia VRS
i think at the minute its looking like a ph1 172. dont think ill be getting a cup or trophy as the insurance is a fair bit more. whats the full fat version?

172 Cup
Ive never once needed ABS in all of the years i have been driving (and my cup isnt the first car not to have it), you would be in a very very unlucky position to need it whilst going about your everyday driving (that is if you drive to the speed limits) imo