ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do people still buy factoryfit Satnav?

vers le haut doigt milieu
Tom Tom's are cheep disposable products which can be update and renewed every 18 months as the same with ur mobile phones. Its easily updateable as it can communicate with Personal computers with no dongle or adapter (apart from USB cable) required.
and your point?

wouldn't say my 930T was cheap at £360!

why would i need to dispose of it and get a new one in 18 months? I just update the maps.

Was Replying to
Brasseye "My tom toms out do the built in nav for everyday use in so many ways"

p.s u can buy a whole head unit for £360, then u wouldn’t look like soo much of a tourist. Yes £50 for a second hand Tom tom is better then buying a map for occasional use but £360...........:lolup: :clap: :lolup: :clap: :lolup: :clap:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2762.html

And with the change you can have one of these so u dont get lost rolla bladin' in hyde park in those huge tourist crowds....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Navigo-GP...=39:1|66:2|65:2|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or just a decent one

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5530.html

And I'm sure Halfords sell a flip out unit for around £350.....

dk

911 GTS Cab
not one of those does everything my tomtom does, the first one isn't even support postcodes, they all have rubbish screens, i want to see where the road is heading, not just an arrow at the next junction, they are as bad as the manufacturers ones.

And how does one of those help me when i go abroad and am not in my car? I have maps of europe and the USA, so convenient!

Sorry, but they aren't a patch on the things i can do with tomtom, they don't even do speed cameras, my tomtom fits perfectly in the bottom corner of my screen and you can't even see it from outside the car, its hardly stuck on the dash.

I think you'll find you are in the minority, and calling people tourists is quite is quite funny when tourists get lost and its pretty much impossible to get lost with a tomtom!

BMW Z4 3.0i
Not true if you have an up-to-date disk. I had Factory fit satnav in my clio and when I got an updated disk it enabled postcode search aswell as the TMC function.
The disk is a 2007/08 one, it's the newest one out.

I dunno what to say to that. I believe you but mine did have the postcode function. It wasn't supplied by Renault though, I think I paid someone off here a tenner for a copy of theirs. Who knows?!

vers le haut doigt milieu
not one of those does everything my tomtom does, the first one isn't even support postcodes, they all have rubbish screens, i want to see where the road is heading, not just an arrow at the next junction, they are as bad as the manufacturers ones.

And how does one of those help me when i go abroad and am not in my car? I have maps of europe and the USA, so convenient!

Sorry, but they aren't a patch on the things i can do with tomtom, they don't even do speed cameras, my tomtom fits perfectly in the bottom corner of my screen and you can't even see it from outside the car, its hardly stuck on the dash.

I think you'll find you are in the minority, and calling people tourists is quite is quite funny when tourists get lost and its pretty much impossible to get lost with a tomtom!

I’ll make this simple:
  • You shouldn’t be looking at a screen whilst driving. Look at the road and listen to the directions.
  • Why do most people need to look at a map as they have their Tomtom in that stupid 3D view so when approaching a major roundabout the arrow gets in the way so u cant see where ur going.
  • If you don’t know where your going/where you are then why are u speeding and need to know where the speed cameras are?
  • It is about as good as a Bluetooth hands free kit as being on loud speaker in the shower.
  • Why the hell would you wanna play MP3’s through that crappy speaker (reminds me of chavs that walk around with their phones listening to the latest baseline tune)
  • Surely ur Clio has I traffic, that will tell u the actual location of a traffic jam.
  • I’m still trying to figure out at what point you would use the emergency services button, as you would have to call them anyway and using very simple mathematics they can work out ur location. In all honesty if I can use my hands I would rather call the emergency services as they can will be able to advise you. Did you think when u bought it that maybe if u hit a pot hole fall down a verge bite and bite your tongue off, with your last bit of energy you reach towards ur tom tom (which by the way will not be attached to ur windscreen after a major crash) push: menu > next > next > SOS > “please select service?” > “you have selected RSPCA, a RSPCA officer will be on site shortly….”
  • For £360 for a map the sales man must have seen you coming…..
Fall off the chair,
Out the window,
Through the skylight,
Down the Stairs,
Through Reception,
Into the car Park,
Get hit by a truck,
And still piss myself laughing…..

I Have in all my previous posts answered why (in my opinion) I believe the Tom tom’s to be out selling manufactures Sat Nav’s and have explained how the glow from over ur dash board makes u look like a tourist and a very easy target for being cut up and in some extreme cases robbed, and I do also understand the fact it is a good idea to buy a £50 one instead of buying a map. but mate you asked for it…..

Last edited:
  C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
All the “learn where you are going” posts. -- what a load of bull.

This year I have been to pretty much every city in the UK, there isn’t a chance I can “learn my way around” nor can a I use a map and then try and remember the directions in my head.

I do get the point about people sitting on motorways with them on continually which is unnecessary ( I followed a guy from Leeds to Luton (one road) with one on) as you should, at this point use road signs, but road signs wont get you to an address deep in a city centre.

Anyway the general consensus in my office is that factory S.N are a waste of money (your own of couse!)

Last edited:
  Mitsubishi Colt
Why do people still buy “optional” Satnav?

Smartnav here, 'cause it came free with the car when I bought it a couple of years back.

It's never out of date, it never gets anything wrong, it redirects around traffic hotspots where possible and it can't be nicked without tearing the car apart.

Yeah, TomTom's cheaper/disposable etc, but the next car I get will have a SmartNav unit installed if I can't get this one removed without issues.

Horses for courses and all that though.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
For me a sat nav is quite essential.
We have new clients all the time and sometimes clients i havent been to yet, so when it does become time to go, i plug in post code and go in the direction it says.

For example the sat nav i use is TT Navigator which is installed (aftermarket) on my Windows Mobile Phone, so it has dual purpose already from being a phone.
If i need a postcode type it in, and i can also dial a clients number if say i will be late.

I find it very handy, although the clients you go to day in day out you dont need the sat nav, but for say navigating Edinburgh or Livingston, where i only know because of my clients, i would have been lost as most addresses arent listed due to new building or on a industrial estate.
Least i can get there properly if i had my satnav as a guide if i get lost or need an alterative route to a clients.