ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why was there oil all over one of my spark plugs?

Changed my plugs today and one of them had loads of oil over it (leftmost one). Why is this? The rest were clean, see pic

I had to wipe it clean before the pic cos there was oil dripping everywhere!

1330810133.jpg

All were very tight yeah. Took a lot of effort to get them out.

I had an oil leak at the rocker cover some time ago but spent a lot of money getting that fixed. Plugs have been changed (not by myself though) since then. Car does still use a bit of oil though - going to see how it goes over the next few days.

Did an oil change today too, let's hope it doesn't burn it all!

When you say left most one - do you mean drivers side

If so it's the oil seal around the VVT switch - Mines gone and it leaks oil all around the HT lead on that side and eventually it drips down onto the plugs. Mine started miss-firing because of it :(

Evo 5 RS
Rocker covers leaking. If it's gone again it hasn't been sealed properly... Or like Phil suggested it could be the rubber seal around the vvt solenoid, which is a much cheaper fix

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Possibilities:
VVT solenoid leaking
Rocker cover seal leaking
One of the rocker cover bolts leaking
The breather cover at the back right leaking

To be on the ceramic part and on the electrode its no doubt built up above the thread, then when you have undone it its leaked down the thread and onto the electrode.
I assume it was misfiring under load and thats why you took it out? The carbon in the oil allows the spark an easier route to ground than through the plug which is what causes the misfire.

Lotus Elise
Cool plugs bro, hows the car Mike?

Edit: s**t me Mike your engine is so rich it makes the Queen look poor.