ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will it strip the paint off!!

Fabia VRS
I am getting a machine polisher after christmas. Been looking at the megs G2220. Everytime i mention it to some one they all say the same thing 'Oooo that'l strip the paint off!!!'.
Ive only got light swirls but their all over the car. I know they remove paint coz you wouldn't get rid of the swirls else, but surly its not going to be to the extreme of my having a chrome looking car. :S
So i was just wondering is it something that has to be taken with extreme care? or could anyone pick one up and get some decent results? Also would Auto Glym super resin work well or am i going to have to invest in a new brand?
Cheers:)

106 GTi
Used sensibly once say year of so and not going crazy with abrasive polishes you will have no problems if you have some common sense.

To do any real paint correction you will need something with some more bite than AG SRP, though it does leave a great finish by machine.

Evo 6, E92 320d
I tried my new udm on my wong with megs no. 83, removed all the swirls no probs, and it was my 1st go with it.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
depends what head you use what rpm the machine is at and what polish.

i used a really fast rotary and a componding head and some farecla g3. touched the panel and i burned through the paint. obviously on a scrap panel. with a really slow speed and the decent polish you should be ok just be careful of the edges as the paint is usually thin.

Do people still use G3 these days then? Although very good on heavy oxidisation its a little too abrasive for clearcoat finishes

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I wouldn't have thought you would have a problem with a G220 as its a random orbital polisher meaning it doesn't stay in the same place. There is more margin for error with the G220 but as always you have to be carful

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Farecla G3 is good but is more used for bodyshops and garages where a heavier cut is needed. for example after wetsanding and removing overspray. if your looking to just remove some swirls, it is definately not for you.

Fiesta ST2
ive got a UDM its mint. really good at removing swirls. start at a low speed and work your way up through each polish/abrasive until your happy with the results. look on detailingworld.co.uk they have alot of info on it, its where I started and I get great results!

Fabia VRS
Cheers for all your help. so ill just have to take it easy. i think ill start on a low speed with auto glym and see what results i get. fingers crossed it comes up nice and shiny:)
As for maintaining it with out puttin more swirls on is it just wash with a lambs wool mitt and keep it topped up with wax?

106 GTi
The AG will do little to nothing in any correction but will leave a clean finish.

Carefull washing and more importantly drying is the key to keeping it swirl free.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
A G220 won't strip paint. I think the people you are talking to are possibly confusing it with a rotary polisher. These are alot more agrresive and can strip paint, but even then with a quality variable speed, unless you have it cranked right up it's very difficult to burn through.

A G220 mimicks what your hand is doing, only faster, so you don't get the heat build up. What it does allow you to do though is use professional grade polishes (stick to Megs or Menz ;)) because it has enough power to break down the abrasives effectively, something not really possible by hand.

You will remove paint obviously but with a DA you are talking a micron at a time even with a harsh pad and polish. A factory car will have about 100-130 microns of paint, probably 40 of that will be clear coat so they are safe.

Obviosuly you don't want to be using an aggressive compound every week, but once a year as a correction detail then it's fine. You can then use the DA with a finishing polish to maintain gloss and keep on top of light marring over the year without any real removal of clear coat.

As rich says though once you've corrected the paint, definately invest in the wash process, a couple of buckets, quality mitt and microfibre drying towels. That will really keep the paintwork in shape.

Fabia VRS
Thanks for all the help! i will give it a go and see how i get on. Dad sed i could try it out on his works car (just a little red saxo) to get some practic in, think its just an excuse so i will clean it. lol. :)

Seat Ibiza FR
I've just purchased a G220 off ebay, I am thinking about getting a panel from the scrap yard to have a practice on, or how about buying an old car for real cheap cleaning it up and gaining practice then sell it on for profit.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I've just purchased a G220 off ebay, I am thinking about getting a panel from the scrap yard to have a practice on, or how about buying an old car for real cheap cleaning it up and gaining practice then sell it on for profit.

A good idea in principal but in this credit crunch climate it's not really viable.