ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will putting new lowering springs damage original shock absorbers in the long run?

I'm wondering that if I lower my 172 with "apex 25mm lowering springs" and keeping the original shock absorbers, will my shock absorbers be damaged in the long run, since they can't travel entire stroke distance?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Re: Will putting new lowering springs damage original shock absorbers in the long run

will be fine, i ran 60mm springs for 2 years without any problems.

21 Turbo
Got to be honest here and say since fitting Prolines my ride has got worse and worse, I found it a wee bit crashy before but now it's awful.

BMW M135i
Re: Will putting new lowering springs damage original shock absorbers in the long run

Apex don't do -25mm springs.

Listerine & Poledo

Will you even notice a 25mm drop at any oth4er time than being parked next to another 172?
I wouldn't bother, Renault set up the suspension to be 'so high', 'so stiff' etc, and unless you're going to pour money into coilovers with some private road to set them up on then leave it as is.

Well, upto you anyway

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

I found apex springs and standard shocks just AWFUL

Mk5 golf gti

Yes.

I've found that shocks go quicker once lowered

Don't get apex, they are pish

182 Turbo Project

I thought Apex were 40mm?

I had them on my 182 and they were 'firm' to say the least.

172 Cup

Anything lower than around 20mm over standard will have a negative effect on the original shocks over time.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Don't get apex, they are pish

They arent too bad when running with uprated shocks. Give a firm ride, which is good when going for the beans.

I have my Konis set a quarter turn from the softest, with 40mm apex, and it's a decent ride.

Clio 197

i would say get some sportlines :)

on my cup, slightly firmer ride , front dropped a tiny amount and the rear raised slightly - much better