ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams on 3 wheels

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Was watching a repeat of 5th Gear today on some Sky channel and a Williams (numbered 2) was being drivin on an air field.

It was kicking up a rear wheel really high, as in looking dangerously nr to flipping when he turned hard :eek:. Looked mad, must hav had amazing grip.

Do any of u Williams drivers manage to get 1 wheel off the ground on cornering or will it tend to slide?

I have a great VHS somewhere, Performance car of the year 96 (I think) done by the old magazine (now EVO). Its great and has a Williams 3 as the budget entry, its constantly lifting a wheel and they have some great footage of it, I think they even manage to get the wheel to stop they have it off the ground for that long !

Must dig the vid out, they take all the cars to the Isle of Man and thrash the tits off them :)

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

I got told off at Goodwood a couple of weeks back for coming thru the chicane on 3 wheels all the time. And that was in a practically roadgoing clio 16v.......easy enough to do.....

Highlighted the need for better suspension to keep the car flatter........

Paul

ive had mine on 3 wheels. accidently i might add.dodgy bit of road on a sharp corner, too much speed etc. didnt know id done it got told by my dad who was driving behind.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i saw the programme too, it was driven and it was number 2 of the production of the original williams being driven by mike drewer. apparantly number 1 of the original williams was bought my frank williams himself but written off!!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by yeecup on 13 December 2003

i saw the programme too, it was driven and it was number 2 of the production of the original williams being driven by mike drewer. apparantly number 1 of the original williams was bought my frank williams himself but written off!!!
I think King Stromba, who uses this forum, owns Williams 002!! Im sure he tracked down Williams 001(LHD) too, and its still intact in storage somewhere!!!

VaVa

Yup, my suspiscions are confirmed, this is an extract from King.strombas post titled " Just driven williams 0001!!"

"Went to Williams factory this afternoon to see 0001 for my web site. Definately NOT written off. Very much alive. Has been kept stored with 19 km on the clock since it was delivered in 1993. This car still has the original paper mats that came with the car. Overall the bodywork is in good condition, but was suprised that my car is in better condition. The engine sounded rough on tickover, but this disapeared when the clutch was depressed (any technical guys know why this may be). Had a little drive in it just to say id driven it. Very strange driving a left hand drive car. The engine bay was obviously very clean. The interior was imaculate as expected. Johnathon Williams was very helpful and a really rather nice guy, and he looks like his dad too.

Oh and to all of you budding drivers who think that they could hack it in F1. Apparently Damon Hill took out a brand new Williams around the old Nuremberg circuit and destroyed the brakes in just 20 odd miles racing round the track. Im going to try to track down this car too and find out who owns it now. "

So there you have it!!

edit> there were pictures in this thread, I remember seeing them, but they have since been removed.

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 13 December 2003

It was according to the show m8y.

i know, they are wrong

BTW do all Williams alloys have a silver edge to the rim? Thanx

yes

Just leave it late and turn i sharp... soon gets the rear wheel up :oops:

Its ammusing to say the least but front tyre wear goes mental!! I had a mate with a valver that got a bit carried away with lifting the rear wheel to the extent he broke one of the anti-roll bar mounts, i was following him through a S bend and i swear the rear wheel went about a foot of the floor!! :eek:

williams and trophy

hehe just goes to show that pampered williams arent always as pampered as people think lol

williams no.2 may have extremely low mileage but u can garauntee that th majority of the miles it has done have been journos thrashin he tits off it.

iv got about 10 mags all covering the release of the williams and al with journos raggin the sh*t out of the renos test car, not good reading if u happen to have one of the cars bein tested, btw mine isnt one of the, it isnt 1 of the 5 that VIZ magazine had as co. cars either lol