ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen crack and trackday

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I have a 6-8" crack in the lower passenger side corner of the screen which I caused whilst taking the wiper off :rage:. I've been using the car daily for 2 weeks since and it hasn't got any worse.

I will replace it, of course, but was thinking I might leave it till after the trackday I have planned later in September - but will the organisers have an issue with it?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Interesting, I knew you could get chip repair kits, didn't know it was possible to do anything about cracks. Might be worth a punt at £10 :up:

PH2 172
I have a 6-8" crack in the lower passenger side corner of the screen which I caused whilst taking the wiper off :rage:. I've been using the car daily for 2 weeks since and it hasn't got any worse.

I will replace it, of course, but was thinking I might leave it till after the trackday I have planned later in September - but will the organisers have an issue with it?

I think this has been discussed before,and think the consensus was that it doesn't matter.
Best to check with organisers in advance though.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Javelin recommended I replace my window before the trackday at Blyton for Cliosport saturday in 2015. I was pretty much told without them seeing it they wouldn't know for sure but there's a good chance they'd not allow me on track with it, and it was on the passenger side too, about a similar size.

I put across the point it's nowhere near my view but their worry was if I hit a kerb harshly it could flex and spiderweb across the window and cause panic, and a danger to other drivers on track. As unlikely as that sounds, I took them on their word and just replaced it before hand.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Given the position I doubt they'll say anything even if they noticed it.

If anyone asks say it just happened (either on the way to the event or while on track).

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'd imagine they wouldn't let you on? If I had that size crack I'd be concerned on track

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I guess if I ask them beforehand they will suggest the safest and most sensible option, like sburrell93 said. I'm sure they have a duty of care.

But if I say nothing and they spot it and turn me away.......:weary:

It's probably not worth the risk.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I guess if I ask them beforehand they will suggest the safest and most sensible option, like sburrell93 said. I'm sure they have a duty of care.

But if I say nothing and they spot it and turn me away.......:weary:

It's probably not worth the risk.

I don't know what the MSA rules are but I've seen race cars line up on grid with cracked windscreens. Doesn't sound like it's repairable anyway so I'd do it after the trackday just incase another stone hits it on the day.

Depends whether you drive the car much between now and then though.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I didn't give any thought to a new screen getting damaged 🙈, I was just thinking I got enough to do between now & then and could do without bothering with the screen :smile:.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Like a professional version of the rain-x repair kit Amos91 mentioned above? Sounds expensive if the RAC are doing it, specially as a temporary fix....:pensive:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
1874_sweden-henning-solberg-snow-crash-2006_01_896x504.jpg

I've seen all kinds of cracks on rally cars doing sprints and hillclimbs. If an MSA scrute is happy with it, I don't see why a trackday scrute would be too bothered. That said, there's always the odd anal one.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
My windscreen has a crack in the lower left hand corner, totalling about 6" in length as it is curved. Done a few track days with it and no one has battered an eye lid to it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
To me wether they saw it or not wouldn't be an issue. A potential cracked screen on a 250 ish trackday is.