ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wont start first time... sometimes.

172 cup
Im having an issue with my 172 cup. The car doesnt start first time every time. Seems to not want to start first time when its been cold over night. The car will turn over 4 or so times then stop, turn the key a 2nd time and it starts fine.

Ive tested the alternator, battery & starter motor, all fine. New spark plugs fitted. I guess next port of call is the fuel filter or type of fuel + MAF sensor + TDC sensor. Anyone else had this issue? (Im not asking for someone to tell me clios dont like being cold!)

Last edited:
  Clio 172 ph2
change the TDC sensor first ,but if the car starts and dies, and won`t idle , then is not the TDC .
The clio doesn`t have a maf sensor , has only a map sensor ,but the map is not your problem

SG9 Forester STi
There are various threads about this and I have the same issue. I was told it was a lazy FPR, if you prime it twice (ignition on then turn it off then on and start :)) then it'll start up nicely.

There are various threads about this and I have the same issue. I was told it was a lazy FPR, if you prime it twice (ignition on then turn it off then on and start :)) then it'll start up nicely.

I have this exact problem. Couldn't put my finger on it but apparently lazy fuel pump is common cause! Prime as Vicky mentions above and see if it cures it?!

172 cup
Ok cool, would this affect the MPG aswell? I know I dont drive the most economically but currently at 29.7mpg. Some people on here talk of MPG in the 40s.

172 cup

Thanks for that vicky, starts every time now :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You will need to delve a little deeper then Cristi and put a scope on the CPS Vs Injector and Coil primary triggers. Your problem could even be linked to a faulty CTS which is either enriching or leaning the cranking AFR hence getting a lazy start condition. Until you start playing its hard if not impossible to accurately diagnose these issues over the internet.

Mick

Clio 172 ph2
I believe that the CTS sensor is making problems on all warm starts .I am having problems only with the first start of the day .If I put the ignition on and prime the fuel pump twice , the car starts fine , that`s why I was almost sure that the problem is fuel pump/regulator related . On cold start there is almost no difference between the temperature shown by the IAT and the CTS ,sometimes I get a 0.x difference between the 2 sensors.I also tried with a new coil and got the same results.
thanks for your help and I am open to more sugestions :)

ITB 428 Ph1
Here is a quick check you can do, mine was exactly the same then it refused to start at all, if you have not tried already, perhaps replace your 3 relays in your fuse box, one is the fuel pump not about the other 2. They are £12 delivered next day to your door from RS, or you Coukd swap the ones you have already, however swapping them round made no difference when I tried it, it was not untill I replaced the lot the batmobile kicked straight onto life, first time , every time.

I too also checked the TDC sensor first

Clio 172 ph2
The fuel pump primes , but the strange thing is ,that the it primes only the second time I put the ignition ON without cranking it .

ITB 428 Ph1
Oh sorry, that is strange, is it worth pulling the back seat up, pulling out the plug to the fuel pump, and measuring it with DC voltage meter, getting someone to turn on the ignition on and off a couple of times ? You should obviously read 12DC with the ignition on,

This way you can see if the fuel pump is getting a constant 12v dc, if it's not, Coukd be relay on way out of loose connection ?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, pull the back seat and check the pump is recieving power. It could be the pump itself is failing or it could be a simple lack of power due to the wiring or the fuel pump relay as suggested earlier. It's also worth noting that the main power feeds in the Clio II's engine bay fuse box have a habbit of breaking which causes a few issues and I've had to fix a few of these before now.

Mick