ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

World's most expensive car wash: £7,200!

ford cougar 2.0 16v
who would have thought these simple steps would make you rich :
Mr Sahota's car washing tips:
1. Use warm soapy water.
2. Add warm water mixed with a PH neutral shampoo in one and plain water in the other.
3. Use a lamb's wool wash mitt which only costs £8 and is better than a sponge.
4. Always wash from the top down.
5. Use different cloths on the bodywork and wheels.
6. Avoid acidic and high-alkaline wheel cleaners and any silicone-based products because they stain.
7. Use a towel instead of a chamois leather to dry the car.
8. Always check the cleaning materials regularly to make sure there's no dirt in them.
9. Always dry the bodywork in small circles to prevent streaking.
10. Take your time and enjoy washing the car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Again i'll point out 7k / 250 hours = £28 per hour. Okay it's a fair wage but there are a lot more professions in the world that earn more than that.

I don't see what the big deal is.

A friend sent this to me by email this morning and asked if I knew him. Presumed it was Mark Dalton, not heard of this guy before. . .

Mk4 .:R32
Again i'll point out 7k / 250 hours = £28 per hour. Okay it's a fair wage but there are a lot more professions in the world that earn more than that.

Because 99% of the population who aren't that arsed about washing their car and keeping it tip top, associate a 'car wash' with a £2 jet wash, or paying a a group of polish lads to valet it for £10 outside the local supermarket.

And £28 an hour for washing cars when compared to what you'd get at a 'normal' car wash (most likely minimum wage) is a massive amount of money!

But for anyone that know's their stuff, i.e. those that do it for a living or a hobby, know that £28 an hour is minimum wage for the amount of knowledge, experience, time, blood and sweat that goes in to a detail such as this.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I'm with you fella. For the time involved and the outcome, what's the problem? We all know that given the law of diminishing returns this won't twice as good a service performed for £3.5k, but if you want the best, who cares?
It's an oddly English trait to place very little value on a 'service' performed by a pro. Unless people end up with a physical product, they see it as a rip off. Madness.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols PB don't even advertise how much they charge for the Pus Detail.

Cheers Warren, the thread was removed on DW, (which he is not a member of) people were just slating him and the fact he used his family garage (Large garage) to detail the cars.

Bare in mind this is a site where people make their living from.

According to most members his work is second to none and he's a cracking guy to boot.

ford cougar 2.0 16v
I'm with you fella. For the time involved and the outcome, what's the problem? We all know that given the law of diminishing returns this won't twice as good a service performed for £3.5k, but if you want the best, who cares?
It's an oddly English trait to place very little value on a 'service' performed by a pro. Unless people end up with a physical product, they see it as a rip off. Madness.

this is true we put strange values on products and services. We will spend 50 pound on bottle of 100ml perfume, but you would spend 50pound on a bottle of beer. they both have there uses and dont last very long. but we will pay 50 for the perfume and not the beer

The perfume is about 100 times more concentrated though fella, so not a perfect comparison, but get where you're going ;)

ford cougar 2.0 16v
cheers, made sense in my head but words its kinda hard. in my work people pay upto 15 for makae up, but wont spend more than 2pound on shower gel. its ludicrous how we put different value on things

Megane R26
Is Mark Dalton related to Paul Dalton? ;) lol!!

Gurch is on DW but it's not obvious who he is! He doesn;t mouth off like some of the 'professionals' on there...

He's one of the Top 3 in the UK IMO!

Not a 320d

Your forgetting that the average Joe is happy with a sponge, and leather. Fairy liquid as the shampoo, or if said person is feeling generous, some turtle wax triple wax shampoo.

Besides, people reading about the 8200 pound pot of wax will go nuts.

Fiesta ST-3
if people pay him... then fair play to him! £28 pound an hour plus the use of top end products which as wel all know aren't cheap!!

No way would i pay it, but there's clearly a market for it!

172//Crap Micra//Bus
I don't really see the problem. The guys a proffessional, doing a proffessional on someones pride an joy.

I wonder what the sudden launch of media interest was sparked by . . . as mentioned, I was texted this morning with The Sun's article. It's been in a lot of other papers, as well as being on BBC radio 1-4 . . .

But good on him!

And yes Russ, clearly not had my morning coffee lol!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
He will have hired a publicist guys that's why he's in all the rags.

Bus w**ker
Shame he's from Derby. :(

I'll be honest, even if I was a millionaire, had no worries about money and was driving around in a Lamborghini Reventon...I'd still not be prepared to pay £7k+ for a detail. Yeah it might be the bestest detail in the world...but it's still £7k, I understand the point of £28p/h too. But still it's £7k for a detail in his Mum and Dad's double garage, with a scissor lift...sorry F1 style pit PMSL.

Fair play to the lad if he can get customers paying those sorts of figures, but no matter what he does or charges...he'll always be from Derby.

Clio 172 Cup
I say well done to the lad, got his head screwed on and doing a job he enjoys for more reason then one. It's not down to money in the end of the day, as posted before some people have different ideas on whats expensive and whats not. I love Jack Daniels, but hate the thought of paying £20 for a bottle, but I wouldn't think twice of spending £20 on a meal.

Knowledge and experiance are priceless in my eyes, someone can do a job well pay him/her. Not forgetting his material costs, am sure he's using the best of the best.

As for the garage he's using that belongs to his parents, if it's working for him then why pay money for a unit?

Stands facing the wall for the haters :rasp: lol

If your car comes out looking better than brand new, and you're a car nut, you'll be pleased. Simples.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It is pretty simple but not to the people who pay POLISH to wash their car. They don't comprehend the work involved.

Ie "How can he wash the car for 250 hours?"

Good question!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
everything has it's place.

A good friend of mine is a wine collector with circa 8,000 bottles in storage. He has wine worth £5k a bottle, Ports worth £5-6k, and champagnes costing double the wine, and he has customers for them. ( or should I say "clients")
My mate wears a £12k watch, £12k for a fooking watch........

When you have money, you can have what you want at whatever cost.

Heard chatter about Lotus paint being quite hard, but absolutely nothing to back up either argument . . . ?

And as for the wine, I have similar friends who are potential clients, so would be interested in the name of his company?

E87 118d M Sport
I say fair play to the guy. The media have taken it to the extreme (that's unlike them) and are making it sound as if the only package he offers is the £7k one (just like the 5k Dalton story).
How many of the super package does he do a year, prob not that many.
He's dedicated his cash to a business, got media coverage and will reap the rewards I imagine. Fair play to him!

Clio MK 4
everything has it's place.

A good friend of mine is a wine collector with circa 8,000 bottles in storage. He has wine worth £5k a bottle, Ports worth £5-6k, and champagnes costing double the wine, and he has customers for them. ( or should I say "clients")
My mate wears a £12k watch, £12k for a fooking watch........

When you have money, you can have what you want at whatever cost.

The only thing i don't understand is if you love your cars and get a dream car such as a lambo or what ever why would you not want to clean it yourself?

LY 182
The only thing i don't understand is if you love your cars and get a dream car such as a lambo or what ever why would you not want to clean it yourself?

Loads of factors why.

Machine polishing is the only way to get a car perfect, and it's not an easy skill. It takes a lot of time and graft and even experience.. which a lot of the customers probably don't have.

I know I'd rather just hand the cash over to the pro if it was small change to me.

Again, here strikes the difference between "cleaning" and "washing" and "detailing". I clean my car weekly, usually, and have a good number of products to use. I detail my car once a year or so using 10's of products, hours and brain cells.

Clio MK 4
Loads of factors why.

Machine polishing is the only way to get a car perfect, and it's not an easy skill. It takes a lot of time and graft and even experience.. which a lot of the customers probably don't have.

I know I'd rather just hand the cash over to the pro if it was small change to me.

Your right. If i had the spare money i would get my car professionally detailed as it needs a good machine polish which i don't have nor do i have experience in doing it.