ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would a focus st superchipped beat a clio 182 tuned?

mk4 golf gttdi180
just talking to a friend whos boyfriend has a focus st chipped and wanted to now on here who has had one of the line and in a windy race

Clio 182
depends which shape focus st it was.

in theory the ST should win, but depends on how the clio is 'tuned'

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
On a drag he would suck you in & spit you out.
My mates Wolf 300+ will toast most cars put in front of it.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Glad you put that puma build link in Martynrg I was going to ask if anyone knew about them.

I followed a black Fester ST with a 2.3L pumabuild badge on the back just the other day. Didnt try my luck incase I got whupped haha. No idea what stage conversion it was though.

Golf R soon...
Glad you put that puma build link in Martynrg I was going to ask if anyone knew about them.

I followed a black Fester ST with a 2.3L pumabuild badge on the back just the other day. Didnt try my luck incase I got whupped haha. No idea what stage conversion it was though.

Linky

The above has 220 bhp

BMW M4; S1000 RR
yes really, providing the ST only had a superchips or likewise map and the meg a remap from RStuning or likewise.

But they're both similar weight and power, Focus has 500cc extra which will count for something..

How can you be sure which would win?

I personally doubt there would be anything in it.

yes really, providing the ST only had a superchips or likewise map and the meg a remap from RStuning or likewise.

But they're both similar weight and power, Focus has 500cc extra which will count for something..

because i drive a remapped megane and have been up against various ST's with varied amounts of tuning

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

because i drive a remapped megane and have been up against various ST's with varied amounts of tuning

LOL this arguement will go round & round-

If you have the right map the ST is very fast-- but I agree with some of the comments above, the handling is load of monkeys Sp*nk -
Do miss the vee sometimes....

People that have a turbo car dont useually stop at just the chip- Its usually Air filter Exhaust & chip-( at the least)
Mines got the above with the radtek intercooler & runs ~ 290 HP-
Petrol is sh*te but is fun in a straight line...

The RS tuning map is inline with the DS map for the focus- acceleration is both is very similar- Pity the migraine looks so bad,especially from the rear-

S

Focus ST
Steve,

my ST is setup similar to yours- running 290bhp but also has some handling tweaks. The handling I find, is ok, but the ST is a heavy car, apparently weighs more than the figures suggest. This in mind, even with 290bhp and assuming it weighs 1500kgs (evo mag figure) then that would give 193bhp/ton. The clio, assuming it too is tuned and is running, lets say 200bhp, will have in the region of 180bhp/ton or so. 13bhp is nothing in real terms, dont care what anyone says.

Also given that the clio handles better than the ST, and is lighter, thus being able to stop more easily, and there would be nowt in it apart from the driver.

Out on the road, again, you'd struggle to find a difference, even in a straight line. Only at higher speeds would you see the ST pull away due to the higher torque.

On a seperate note, a recent trackday at Oulton showed that the clio 172 cup which was there was more than able to pass me, whereas the meg, which i think was an R26, could not. Yes, its down to driver skill i know, but debates such as this arent so clear cut, no matter what people may think.

In fact id go so far as to say that even a modded ST compared to a standard 182 wont see much difference.

There you go, ive stuck up for the 182, and i dont even own one!

HTH!

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Steve,

my ST is setup similar to yours- running 290bhp but also has some handling tweaks. The handling I find, is ok, but the ST is a heavy car, apparently weighs more than the figures suggest. This in mind, even with 290bhp and assuming it weighs 1500kgs (evo mag figure) then that would give 193bhp/ton. The clio, assuming it too is tuned and is running, lets say 200bhp, will have in the region of 180bhp/ton or so. 13bhp is nothing in real terms, dont care what anyone says.

Also given that the clio handles better than the ST, and is lighter, thus being able to stop more easily, and there would be nowt in it apart from the driver.

Out on the road, again, you'd struggle to find a difference, even in a straight line. Only at higher speeds would you see the ST pull away due to the higher torque.

On a seperate note, a recent trackday at Oulton showed that the clio 172 cup which was there was more than able to pass me, whereas the meg, which i think was an R26, could not. Yes, its down to driver skill i know, but debates such as this arent so clear cut, no matter what people may think.

In fact id go so far as to say that even a modded ST compared to a standard 182 wont see much difference.

HTH!

A standard 182 against a modded ST wont see much difference????.My ST eats my 172, and my mates 182 with induction kit and zorst wont get near it either,granted up to 60 there is not a lot in it(but there is a difference) and after that i just pull away easily.

Family Bus
Used to drive a mates ST, was running about 340 bhp i believe and would eat a clio for breakfast lol! Not as good on corners tho! :p

E90
If its 2km's ahead when it reaches the twisties, he can reverse round em, and have a brew, and still be 500 metres ahead LOL

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
LOL.The standard suspension is not a match for the 1*2 set ups but a lot of the ST guys are changing suspension and the difference is worlds apart so i have heard.Billsteins coming for me soon.

MCS R56
Steve,

HTH!

A standard 182 against a modded ST wont see much difference????.My ST eats my 172, and my mates 182 with induction kit and zorst wont get near it either,granted up to 60 there is not a lot in it(but there is a difference) and after that i just pull away easily.

Agreed. 13 bhp makes naff all difference. Any modded car running a lot more power than a standard Clio will be quicker in a straight line - not impressive. It's all about the driver.

Focus ST
Hawkeye;3980952 A standard 182 against a modded ST wont see much difference????.My ST eats my 172 said:
havent you just contradicted yourself there? wont get near it, but theres not a lot in it upto 60??

If we are talking about real world, on the road, then surely the fact theres nowt in it makes all the difference.

If we are talking about upto silly speeds then thats a different ball game- a modded ST is in porsche/M3 territory past 100mph.

on the road however, the fact that there is MARGINAL difference in power to weight, that there are variations in road conditions and surfaces, and not to mention various "obstacles" to overcome, then it will be so close theres no point in discussing- one car certainly wouldnt overtake the other!

and as for the torque "myth", remember, the clio is a lot lighter, has an N/A engine and gear ratios to suit the torque band. Turbos have good mid-range, yes, but you can still be caught napping.On a give and take road, the ST's mid range MAY see it pull a couple of lengths on each straight.

fact is, you take all the hot hatches, or even a selection of cars with a variance of 100bhp, and you will find there really is not much in it out on the road. Ive owned everything from a 189bhp integra, through to a 290bhp ST and I can say as a matter of fact that there is so little in the straight line speed that it matters not one jot. You'd be talking a car length at best, which, in reality, is chuff all