ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Written off :(

Jap Box
That's mighty impressive!

What have you learned from this?

Long periods of dry weather followed by a deluge of rain will always turn the roads to ice rinks as dust, rubber, dirt, mud etc. builds up in the dry and isn't washed away. Then the rain comes and for a few days you have to be careful just about everywhere you go.

Oh, and TPF&T is a false economy.

I have learnt that indeed, and to get fully comp next time!

:rasp:

Fine, twas a bit grumpy but as I said they are all valid points. What did the fella expect? This is what always happens when someone's clearly messed up on the roads and wrecked their car. Where's Weeman?

Your right this does always happen.

Someone jumps on the band wagon and slates the op, without having seen or driven the road or not being in possession of the full facts.

LOL WHAT FACTS? THE FACTS ARE THERE FOR ALL TO SEE.

TOO FAST + RAIN = FLIP.

LOL again.

I lost the back end of my car at about 15mph on a roundabout in the rain. Diesel on the road too which didn't help.

It only rolled I think because of the way it went up the embankment. Bad luck really. If it hadn't hit the verge, it would have been nothing more than a slip up and a skid.

I lost the back end of my car at about 15mph on a roundabout in the rain. Diesel on the road too which didn't help.

It only rolled I think because of the way it went up the embankment. Bad luck really. If it hadn't hit the verge, it would have been nothing more than a slip up and a skid.

Cant of been bad luck. Just ask Magic Johnson.

I am sure he will tell you why you crashed.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
There's a well known round about in Durham at the bottom of pottersbank (locals will know it) and I lost the back end in my first car there at 10mph and seen loads of people do it too. It looks like a red rice crispy square type road covering. f**king lethal
So people who say ya can't loose the back end at 25mph haven't got a clue as your more likely to loose control in a slow skid as ya cant use the power or momentum to pull you out of it.

Jap Box
Going to have look at it tomorrow, its back on its wheels! £50 to get it taken from there and back here to start ripping bits off it.

Giulietta 940
:D

But on topic, following on from what Kev said, there is a corner like that up near Clacton. It looks harmless enough, but I've seen plenty of cars in the ditch next to it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
As for 25mph, easily done in my opinion.

My Ignis came with ditchfinders up front, and super-sticky Yoko A043s on the rear. I swapped them front to rear to make it a little 'looser', and it ended up behaving like it had a supermarket trolley castor wheel under the back whenever it was wet. Absolute f****** nightmare.

If this car was similarly loose, and with those tight banks either side of it what's to stop it rolling onto it's roof slowly (as the OP said) after 20-25 mph of momentum and a wagging tail pushed it up one of said banks?

Granted excessive speed was the reason for the initial slide, but I can see what happened here all being done from 25 mph no problem.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
As for 25mph, easily done in my opinion.

Ditto, ive done it in this clio. Id had it for 3 week's 1 round about in Widnes near morrisons and i approched it like a Grandad as you do in the wet and the next min ive done a 180* spin :S i also dialed in some oppo lock but FAILED to do anything. This sound like a case of Budget tyres tbh which is what where on mine at the time.

Nimbus Megane R26
my 182 did this around a roundabout (big one by sankey library for warrington lot).. just caught it before it spun all the way around.. only doing 40. Think the clio has some epic handling at times but at others its just unpredictable.

Mike, remember the porsche on the cat and fiddle run? lolz.

Jap Box
Ditto, ive done it in this clio. Id had it for 3 week's 1 round about in Widnes near morrisons and i approched it like a Grandad as you do in the wet and the next min ive done a 180* spin :S i also dialed in some oppo lock but FAILED to do anything. This sound like a case of Budget tyres tbh which is what where on mine at the time.

Yeah they were all pretty awful brands, and the front left had a slow puncture in it too which wont have helped.

Didn't have a chance to get anything changed over as I only had it 2 days :(

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
maybe a repost but crazy s**t happens at low speeds lol

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7RMLt28n0-M&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7RMLt28n0-M&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
I wrote my 182 off around this time last year in similar conditions, was a boiling hot day and then once the rain came down it made this one particular corner so slippery, even the police said it could have been like driving on ice - lost the back end and rolled it a couple of time, was national speed limit though not 20mph!

As mentioned though, main thing is your ok, car can always be replaced!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

The ones on the pic look to be budget, the rear tyres look a bit low on tread too. Could be the pic though

120d M Sport
Wow, someone missed my point. It's got nothing to do with luck.

Yeah, because he f**ked up the corner by going too fast. It's been admitted now anyway.

Ready to get off your high horse yet?

It's something that can happen to inexperienced drivers, speed judgement comes with experience.

Unlucky to the OP, just be glad no-one else was involved and hopefully get something sorted.

Jap Box

It's something that can happen to inexperienced drivers, speed judgement comes with experience.

Unlucky to the OP, just be glad no-one else was involved and hopefully get something sorted.

Am glad no one else was involved, car about to come up the hill witnessed it all happening and they made sure I was ok and everything. Should have tried to tip it back onto its wheels thinking about it, would have saved me money overall.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
ouch, 25mph roll, were u using happy hands whilst steering, or warming up your tyres?

lynden

Honda & VW
so you were actually driving like a total tool is the actual truth then?

i don't think anyone could lose a Reliant Robin towing a trailer at 20mph on that road....

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

Not on one.

Doesn't take loads of experience to know not to go too fast round a tight corner with s**t tyres in the wet.

No it wasn't unlucky, it was stupid.

Jap Box
so you were actually driving like a total tool is the actual truth then?

i don't think anyone could lose a Reliant Robin towing a trailer at 20mph on that road....

Hardly, I was in the middle of slowing down for the corner when it slid and started the whole thing.

Go on that f**king road yourself then if you think its all fine, had enough of t***s saying the road is fine, you cant f**king see whats behind the sign.

Okay, lets calm it down a bit please.

You're an inexperienced driver and you were going too fast. It's clearly wet and muddy, that should tell you to slow down, not hit the go pedal.

If you were doing 25 or 250, you crashed. Your cars dead and you're going to be hit financially in the arse and you won't like it. But that's life. You're still alive and you'll be more careful in future.

Jap Box
Twenty five miles per hour resulted in that? What did you do, drive at 25mph straight into the banking?

Edit: erm, Pics?

Pretty much 25mph into the first bank and I doubt it slowed much coming off that into the other bank which rolled the car

Hardly, I was in the middle of slowing down for the corner when it slid and started the whole thing.

Go on that f**king road yourself then if you think its all fine, had enough of t***s saying the road is fine, you cant f**king see whats behind the sign.

Well said !

Would be interesting to see the road i must admit. Google map it

Suzuki Ignis
Why the hell did you get it recovered to anywhere other than your house if you are only 3rd party insurance?

Police just phone the local recovery people, then you have to pay to get it out. They just want to get it off the road asap.

M2 Competition
Lol, from the pics im betting braking down to 25mph while turning, then too much steering, then an attempt to correct the slide as the back overtakes the front, resulting in a bit of roofness.

Harsh after 2 days though, this your first car?