ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WTF Is wrong with my Macbook.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
In the past few weeks my Macbook has been a right pain in the arse.

Crashing at every opportunity. Casually typing this now, and every now and then it will freeze and take a few seconds to catch up with my writing ffs.

It absolutely hated running iMovie yesterday, had to restart it about 5 times. And today, iTunes made it fully freeze (Requiring a restart) 3 times in a row. I'm scared to open it now.

It's a first gen Aluminium Macbook, 13". 2Ghz Core 2 Duo and 4GB Memory. It's running 10.6.4, and every time I try to update it, well.... yeah it crashes. Gets to a certain bit and throws a random error saying it could be a corrupt file and to download the update again. This has happened a few times now.

Now, I remember Windows did this every 6 months and I just casually re-installed it. Same thing here? My other mac lasted years with no formatting or fresh installs?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
No, but considering everyone in the Apple section here seem's pretty competent I'd have thought it'd be a simple answer.

I've figured out that iTunes keeps crashing as it keeps trying to "Determine the Gapless Playback information" on this album I just added, but it freezes on one track causing the computer to die. Also does it when it tries to play it. However, I now can't delete the song from my library as every time I open itunes it just freezes.

f**k YOU APPLE.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Also, the trackpad doesn't always register when you click it. And the batteries fucked, and im on my third charger thats nearly dead.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Stop downloading dodgy s**t from torrents? And the trackpad is probably clogged with spunk.

Anyway repair permissions. Download Clean my mac/onyx and spend a bit of time doing maintenance you should be doing more often.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Anyway repair permissions. Download Clean my mac/onyx and spend a bit of time doing maintenance you should be doing more often.

Pretty much do this all the time but I'm sure one my cleanup and rape of disk utility shouldn't kill it.

Probably just going to get a new 13" MBP tomorrow on teh finances.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Did you upgrade OS?

Either Leopard>Snow Leopard or Snow>Lion

If so, and you didn't do a clean install, I'd really recommend doing so.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Upgraded ages ago to Snow Leopard, may backup and do a clean install in a week. Tempted by a Mac Mini though, or an iPad.

The click thing is a pretty common problem with that. Mines the same, theres a vid on YouTube that shows you how to fix it, involves taking it apart obv.

Audi Q7, Avalanche
I too have the first generation Aluminium Macbook 13inch, the track pad is prone to failure and some of the other issues could be a plethora of problems. Do you have Apple Care? As mine is running out in a few weeks we had it sent away to Apples assessment center in Texas, we only wanted the keyboard changed under warranty, they ended up changing the Ram, the main logic board, the track pad, the entire upper case and a few other issues at a total cost of $1900 in parts alone... this was all done free under apple care. If you have it, its definitely worth having it looked at. We started to see some issues when the HD was getting full, then the Ram became a little buggy and the installation / reinstallation was not working properly due to issues with the hard drive.

Clean my mac is a good purchase too and keeps on top of things, if you have all your files backed up i would reinstall the operating system and then transfer all your files bad over via time machine and then see if there are any issues.... failing that i would take it into Apple if you have apple care..