ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WWDC 2014

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Some cool things. Snapchat style iMessage. They just know how many naked pictures are floating around!

Inferno 182 CUP
It's a developer release certainly not a user one. The dev opportunities are brilliant .. But until there utilised .. We don't have many new toys!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Bloody hell people finally get widgets and interapp communication and it's "s**t"

Without even using it

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Looks like some really useful changes to iOS and OSX. More actually useful shortcuts and features than flashy new functions that are more of a novelty as we've possibly seen in previous releases.

Rav4
Quite a few things I like, and some that should have been here a while ago.

What I like;

Markup - very handy. Specially for those people that aren't very IT savy and just want to modify some images for changes.
SMS integration.
Call integration - Picking up calls on the ipad/desktop is great.
Quick Wifi/Tethering
Handoff
Enterprise management
Family purchases
Family pics/chat - a bit like whatsapp if you include the group chats.
Pricing for cloud storage vs drop box
Translations on safari - this is going to be very interesting.
Bundles
Extensions
Homekit
SWIFT - if I was a hardcore programmer, I would have jizzed in my pants.
Mail on iOS looks very much like Mail app from Dropbox

What should have been ages ago;

Custom notifications both on iOS and an OS X.
Keyboard changes to iOS.
Improvements on Mail.

Overall

I find this a really welcomed development for apple.

If anything, now that I am working from home a lot more, things like the SMS / Call integration are going to be very handy, but propose a lot of disruptions if not managed properly.

Will I be getting an iPhone when this is available and swapping it for my Nexus 5. Yes.

Thanks,

G.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Now they just need to grow some balls and enable tethering full stop, regardless of whether carriers allow it.

It's up to the carriers to police it, not apple.

This is a solid update, I still think (barring the screen size) the 5S is the best hardware hands down....and that's nearly a year on. iOS let it down by not having support for widgets or support to hooking into the OS....now it seems they've finally listened.

Give me a bigger screen and it's the first time in a few years that I think that I could be tempted back.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The carriers do?

Anyway it's on now. I can't wait to see what's done with these api's

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The carriers do?

Anyway it's on now. I can't wait to see what's done with these api's

Double Edit:

Seems that giffgaff does indeed now have a carrier file.....that really is about the last hurdle.

I still think the below is valid, although it would seemingly not affect me now.

They do, via Apple, but the carriers should be policing it themselves on their own network.

You should be able to enable tethering regardless of whether the carrier wants you to, giffgaff (virtual carrier) is a prime example of carrier that allows tethering (on some tariffs) but doesn't have their own carrier profile, so you're stuck with O2's which prohibits tethering unless you have it turned on in your O2 account.

If I use less than my in built allowance then it should be irrelevant how I use my data allowance, directly or tethered. I should point out that I rarely tether, but it is useful on occasion and giffgaff serves me well, I never use my call or data allowance.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Well, it sounds like a lot. But for me personally I don't use Spotlight, iCloud or Siri. The interactive notifications will save what, 1 second per time?

Not interested about the Messages, keyboard or Family Sharing apps. Obviously I'll check out the photos thing, could be quite good. The one that could be useful is HealthKit as I do use Nike+ Move and sometimes MFP.

Think this was definitely a better round for OS 10 10.10 than iOS!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Not at all. It's the features from the new api's you'll get far more from. This is a HUGE release of iOS

10.10 is nice but little has changed. Im using it now.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I signed up for the OS Beta program, unsure if I got signed up in time but they said they will email me when it becomes available. I'm quite looking forward to some of the features such as the updated spotlight.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm with Tom. (Not literally), this is huge although I can see why some of you think it's meh.

I've been quite vocal about how poor I felt certain parts of iOS were compared to Android, bits which should be in it were conspicuously missing. They've had widgets for a couple of releases, but provided no API to make use of it. Widgets are a killer feature on Android, you might not think you need them/want them but once you start using them on iOS you'll wonder how you ever managed without them.

Third party keyboards are huge as well, if you've ever used a decent third party keyboard on Android then again, you'll know just how good they can be. I hate using iOS7 because of the horrific UI mistake that is Caps, why on earth they don't reflect the caps key in the actual letters is just odd, but at least in 8 you'll have to choice of keyboard.

My only real iOS gripe that remains is the lack of an app draw, the home screen should be where I stick my apps from the drawer, the drawer should show them all, this way all the crap built in apps that I don't like/use/want can be hidden.

The extension apis are huge as well, this is another killer feature of Android that is sorely missing on iOS. Now you will see apps making use of other app features.

I fully expected Apple to carry on with their head in the sand ignoring basic functionality gaps with their "We'll do it our way" approach, but they've decided to follow a different approach now. Maybe now we're seeing the fruits of Scott Forstalls departure. :)

I've been on a Nexus for nearly 2 years because I felt iOS lagged badly, I suspect (if the bigger screen makes an appearance) I'll be back under iOS.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I think I'm just hard to be impressed these days. All I want is better battery life! Until we get Morph or something similar.

Yosemite looks real sweet and seems stable so far. I can't install it on my MBP though as I've read that vmware isn't currently working :(

Rav4
I'm with Tom. (Not literally), this is huge although I can see why some of you think it's meh.

I've been quite vocal about how poor I felt certain parts of iOS were compared to Android, bits which should be in it were conspicuously missing. They've had widgets for a couple of releases, but provided no API to make use of it. Widgets are a killer feature on Android, you might not think you need them/want them but once you start using them on iOS you'll wonder how you ever managed without them.

Third party keyboards are huge as well, if you've ever used a decent third party keyboard on Android then again, you'll know just how good they can be. I hate using iOS7 because of the horrific UI mistake that is Caps, why on earth they don't reflect the caps key in the actual letters is just odd, but at least in 8 you'll have to choice of keyboard.

My only real iOS gripe that remains is the lack of an app draw, the home screen should be where I stick my apps from the drawer, the drawer should show them all, this way all the crap built in apps that I don't like/use/want can be hidden.

The extension apis are huge as well, this is another killer feature of Android that is sorely missing on iOS. Now you will see apps making use of other app features.

I fully expected Apple to carry on with their head in the sand ignoring basic functionality gaps with their "We'll do it our way" approach, but they've decided to follow a different approach now. Maybe now we're seeing the fruits of Scott Forstalls departure. :)

I've been on a Nexus for nearly 2 years because I felt iOS lagged badly, I suspect (if the bigger screen makes an appearance) I'll be back under iOS.

You're pretty much spot on, these are pretty much my thoughts too.

Inferno 182 CUP
Certainly after a more continued use of this under my iPad mini, iPhone and Yosemite on my mac mini I'm less underwhelmed .. I still think Yosemite was the killer release. The Apis opening is a major breakthrough I agree, BUT that won't be prudent until we see app updates, maybe 6 months time. There certainly is now a big hole paved for a successful future let's just see if it materialises .. But after a weeks use, I can see improvements .. Let's see what the devs create. For me ios8 is a developer release not a consumer one .. A much needed route, but it means ios9 will blow us out the water!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Did many people who aren't Developers sign up for the Yosemite Beta testing?