ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox one s

Leon FR ST
Hi folks
Kids are asking for an Xbox for Christmas this year.
Planning of getting an Xbox one s but apart from that a bit lost.
Where's best to buy etc. Was thinking cex as it comes with a bit of warranty for a 2nd hand console.
Anything else I need to think about.
Thanks

133T
I know it’s all relative but I’d be looking for a new one during the Black Friday period. What are they? 240ish. Under 200 I’d be looking for. Amazing value considering time spent.

Leon FR ST
I know it’s all relative but I’d be looking for a new one during the Black Friday period. What are they? 240ish. Under 200 I’d be looking for. Amazing value considering time spent.
Yeah that was something we talked about as well.
Guess need to assess what offers are out there at the time

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah as above I’d be looking at the series s in the sales, but you may need an external hard drive if they want to play a few games.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the kids age/what they want to play I think.

My immediate thought was a series s too, but the old one s might be a better shout as you'll have a disc drive and can buy a load of cheap games from CEX etc rather than be locked in to the digital ecosystem with the series s.

Edition 30

My immediate thought was a series s too, but the old one s might be a better shout as you'll have a disc drive and can buy a load of cheap games from CEX etc rather than be locked in to the digital ecosystem with the series s.

Cash Converters had one this last weekend for £100 - One S that is. Our 7 year old will not care one bit it's not the series s.

Leon FR ST

Kids are 5 & 7. As first console thinking of the one s and trying to get a 1TB disc version or additional storage.

Leon FR ST
Cash Converters had one this last weekend for £100 - One S that is. Our 7 year old will not care one bit it's not the series s.
[
Preowned from Game? Come with a 12 month warranty.

Thanks, shows as out of stock but will have a look on my lunch break, didn't think of looking there either. Haven't bought a console since my PS2!

Edition 30
One other thing the guy told me was to look out the controller. Some are better than others with the One S.

Some have only batteries, some have the USB recharge port as well as batteries.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
The Series S is the new version of the One S, however there is no disc drive for games (loads of cheap used ones around) and the internal storage is too small 512mb less the OS & reserved space, so you need to very expensive storage expansion card, so I would avoid personally.

As a first console for younger kids, I would get a used One S 1TB with an optical drive (they do some without), with a selection of cheap games on disc, places like CEX, Cash Converters, Game, Music Magpie, etc all do used consoles with warranty, but TBH you'll not need it as they don't tend to break/fail, so you could get one off Facebook or eBay, for around £100

Last edited:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
One other thing the guy told me was to look out the controller. Some are better than others with the One S.

Some have only batteries, some have the USB recharge port as well as batteries.
Incorrect, all XBox One, One S, One X, Series X/S and Elite controllers have a USB port for charging & firmware updates, it's micro USB on the older ones and USB C on the Series X/S & Elite 2, but you need specific rechargeable batteries, you can't just pop a couple of rechargeable AA's in the controller and charge them using a cable.

The original Xbox One controllers did not come with a 3.5mm audio plug (or Bluetooth), which is what someone may have got confused over, but the One S controllers have the 3.5mm audio plug, micro USB and Bluetooth.

Leon FR ST
That's why the forum is so good, plenty of knowledge.
As said before not bought a console for a while....what's the must haves/recommendations as I ordered an Xbox one s 1TB from cash converters at lunch today.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That's why the forum is so good, plenty of knowledge.
As said before not bought a console for a while....what's the must haves/recommendations as I ordered an Xbox one s 1TB from cash converters at lunch today.
Kids will probably like Forza Horizon, probably go for 4 as you can then get the lego DLC.

You could look into the cheap gamepass trick too, check out the gamepass thread I posted.

Edition 30
Incorrect, all XBox One, One S, One X, Series X/S and Elite controllers have a USB port for charging & firmware updates, it's micro USB on the older ones and USB C on the Series X/S & Elite 2, but you need specific rechargeable batteries, you can't just pop a couple of rechargeable AA's in the controller and charge them using a cable.

The original Xbox One controllers did not come with a 3.5mm audio plug (or Bluetooth), which is what someone may have got confused over, but the One S controllers have the 3.5mm audio plug, micro USB and Bluetooth.

That's right USB C on the newer versions. I must have not understood what he was trying to tell me.

I luckily got a newer one for him.

How do I obtain said batteries? The one I got just came with 2 normal AA's.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
That's right USB C on the newer versions. I must have not understood what he was trying to tell me.

I luckily got a newer one for him.

How do I obtain said batteries? The one I got just came with 2 normal AA's.

You've got a newer style Series X/S controller then, I use the Microsoft play & charge battery, there are aftermarket ones available, but the official one lasts for a long time between charges and I've got a couple that are a few years old now.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I love my little Series S when I get the time to play on it. It's tiny so fits in beautifully out of the way and my little twin boys can't t**t it around all over the house as it's hidden away. It loads super quick with Quick Resume. Games Pass is amazing as well and the controller feel is brilliant, it's really weighty but feels perfect in the hand.

Leon FR ST
Kids will probably like Forza Horizon, probably go for 4 as you can then get the lego DLC.

You could look into the cheap gamepass trick too, check out the gamepass thread I posted.
Cheers bud....last question for now, do I need to have Xbox gamepass if only want to start with games offline?
Thinking FIFA, tractor simulator ( blame you he brother in law) and Forza game to start

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cheers bud....last question for now, do I need to have Xbox gamepass if only want to start with games offline?
Thinking FIFA, tractor simulator ( blame you he brother in law) and Forza game to start
Games Pass is digital only so it does away with the need for a optical disc drive. I think you can download a game though off Games Pass and play it offline but I could be wrong.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you plan to just buy those games then no, you don't need any sub on xbox to just play games (either bought on disc or digitally)