ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

XBOX VGA to PC monitor quality

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I have recently hooked up my xbox to my PC monitor using the MS VGA cable. I'm not sure on the quality of my monitor, it's an HP purchased about 1 year to 18 months ago, Its LCD, but the picture isn't wonderful on the xbox, the text (especially in MW2) looks pixelated.

Basically, I just want to know if there is a way of getting better quality out of it, or whether I would need a new PC monitor? I know it is difficult to say because I don't know exactly what monitor I have, but it isn't a BAD one.

Can anyone recommend a good one if this is the case?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Uuuuh, do you mean for example 1280 x 1024? If so, I think it is 1440 x 900.

Basically, if you look on youtube, you can watch some gameplay stuff on there full screen at 720p and it looks better than what I get when I'm playing. Could it be that the monitor isn't HD?

1.8 Civic EX
might sound obvious but I assume you've tried setting different resolutions on the xbox it self? display settings under system settings I belive.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I think it is an HP w2007?

w2007_front_big.jpg

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Uuuuh, do you mean for example 1280 x 1024? If so, I think it is 1440 x 900.

Basically, if you look on youtube, you can watch some gameplay stuff on there full screen at 720p and it looks better than what I get when I'm playing. Could it be that the monitor isn't HD?

360 (as far as I can recall) only displays at 576p, 720p and 1080p

So your screen res is somewhere between the 2 HD res's, so explains the blurryness

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Okay, I think I get you, so what is the soultion?

And, I haven't checked the xbox's settings, lol. Didn't even think of that. Even on my TV the picture doesn't look that wonderful which always disappoints me. Maybe that is the problem.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
360 (as far as I can recall) only displays at 576p, 720p and 1080p

So your screen res is somewhere between the 2 HD res's, so explains the blurryness

So if I change my monitor resolution to 1024 x 720 will that work? It won't be widescreen obviously but . . .

What does the 720p and 1080p actually mean then? When your resolution is somewhere between the supported HD resolutions it will not be HD, correct?

Monaro VXR
When the VGA connector is used it defaults to a low resolution. You need to go into setting and pick the closest one to your monitors native resolution.

You get a lot more options to pick from in terms of resolution through the VGA connector. So if you have not set it up then it will look rather s**te.

You want to be running 1280x720 minimum. Which is 720P. There should be higher options up to 1920x1080 though.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Cool, that makes sense, I don't have a clue about HD stuff, I'm going to have to do some reading.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Monaro VXR
Just looked it up for you in the settings you want to set it to 1680 x 1050.

I believe that is one of the options available with the VGA cable. Been a while since I used mine.