ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon Igniter Question

PH2 172
Quick one regarding the xenons I've just fitted to the Cup.

One of the lights sometimes fails to come on, swapped the igniter over and it moved the problem to the other side, suggesting it is in fact the igniter.

The following link has a silver and a black igniter:

http://www.oemxenonpart.com/Renault-CLIO-172-OEM-Xenon-HID-HeadLight-Ballast-Ignitor.htm

What's the difference?

Currently both of mine are black.

It would appear you can use either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Hell...adlamp-Igniter-ORIGINAL-GENUINE-/112348251854

This is the best priced NEW I could find on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL...094583&hash=item36214cf0de:g:pZoAAOSwrslaZVgC

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
Could be wrong but I think there might be two different types? One light has normal spring clips to hold the bulb in and the other has a black round plastic piece, got a feeling they use a different type? Could be wrong though.

Not sure if it's just on the late 182 as that has the different levelling motor on it.

The plastic type is used on my 182 FF. In the first link the part numbers are different with the plastic reading 5DD 008 319 10 and the metal type 5DD 008 319 50 so just cross reference what you have now and order the same part No.

PH2 172
Could be wrong but I think there might be two different types? One light has normal spring clips to hold the bulb in and the other has a black round plastic piece, got a feeling they use a different type? Could be wrong though.

Not sure if it's just on the late 182 as that has the different levelling motor on it.

You are correct that the 172 has wire spring clips, and the 182 has the round plastic dip bulb holder, but having had a selection of both, they all have had the black igniter 5DD 008 319 10.
The only difference I have noticed is that not all have the wavy spring washer, though that may be because they have been lost or broken.

dan's cast offs.
You are correct that the 172 has wire spring clips, and the 182 has the round plastic dip bulb holder, but having had a selection of both, they all have had the black igniter 5DD 008 319 10.
The only difference I have noticed is that not all have the wavy spring washer, though that may be because they have been lost or broken.

The one with the black ring doesn't have provision for the clip. Just looked at one to double check

PH2 172
The one with the black ring doesn't have provision for the clip. Just looked at one to double check
?? I think we are talking at cross purposes.
The wavy washer I referred to is between the igniter and the headlamp unit, though looking at these 2 pictures it`s configuration has been changed between the 10 & 50.
Guess the couple I have without, they have just gone AWOL.
zaplonnik-cewka-hella-5dd-008-319-10.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
£3 and a KitKat?

Genuinely, what you after, if it worked when it came off, and it's been kept dry (ish), I'll have it off you?

Think they're about £30 ish new from what i've seen.

£10? They were off my old lights which i swapped last year because the internals were buggered. I kept the bulbs, igniters and ballasts so they all were working yeah. Kept in the house.

Think they're about £30 ish new from what i've seen.

£10? They were off my old lights which i swapped last year because the internals were buggered. I kept the bulbs, igniters and ballasts so they all were working yeah. Kept in the house.

Okay, that's spot on for me yeah, sling it in the post for a few quid more, or you wanna arrange meeting up one evening, get Turner and a couple of others along?

Replacement igniter didn’t work, seemed to at first but this morning, no dice. I’m now guessing there’s nothing wrong with either igniter, and the issue is something else?

Could be the ballast.

Want to try one of my spares and swap it for that igniter?

You got spare ballasts? Maybe worth a try, only thing that seems odd is when I switched the igniter from OS to NS, the problem went with it?

I need to get a cap on the back, as it’s missing, it could well be a bit of moisture causing gremlins.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You got spare ballasts? Maybe worth a try, only thing that seems odd is when I switched the igniter from OS to NS, the problem went with it?

I need to get a cap on the back, as it’s missing, it could well be a bit of moisture causing gremlins.

Yeah i have. Also got a spare cap for the back too.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
@Eddie. Did you sort the problem mate?,as i have the same problem on mine.One headlight has the black circle clip to hold the bulb in and other has the metal springs,this is the one with the problem.I did notice today that two of the igniter clips had broken,they come on but when driving down the road,sometimes it just turns off and i have to flick the light switch on & off so it comes back on,all wires seem fine.