ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

yet another fault :(

VW T4 van, 172 cup
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere but i havent managed to find anything quite like it on the search.

Iv got a 2002 172ff with 40045miles on the clock. Just been serviced and had all belts done about 2000miles ago and now the problem........

ok then, accelerated from a standing start and changed into 2nd gear at about 6000rpm. next thing i knew a whining noise comes from my engine bay and on comes the electronic fault light (heart beat looking one). The car then lost all power. Rolled to a stop and switched it off. Turned it back on and it now fluctuates about 3000rpm on idle! It has just had a service and all belts changed. wondering if the cams have slipped giving poor timing?

Any ideas? I get to spend tomorrow getting towed back home from Bridgend! so any ideas to cheer up my mood would be helpful

thanks Alex

VW T4 van, 172 cup
im gunna strip the throttle body and see what i can see (probly nothing!) im hoping that its just the plug being loose or summut stupid

clio172 mk2 ph1
sounds like a vaccuum fault mate. check the black plastic pipe that clips on at the top right back of the inlet manifold. that would hav been unclipped and moved out the way for the cambelt.

VW T4 van, 172 cup
iv cleared the limp mode and the constant tick over at 3500rpm by disconnecting the battery :) took the inlet pipe off and gave it a rev and the butterfly valve seams to be operating as normal. the plug had some tap trapped in the end which iv cleared. the only problem that i seam to have now is a really slow return to idle from my foot on the throttle and a small amount of hunting when lifting off the throttle. Iv not checked the vaccum pipe on the rear of the engine block but its fine on the inlet pipe. would the vaccum pipe only bring up a fault now after 2000 miles?

thanks for your advice so far :)

clio172 mk2 ph1
only if the vaccuum pipe wasnt very secure and its popped off after a while of driving. but if uv disconnected the battery and its cleared the limp mode then its not gonna be that anyway. there is fault like this iv seen before where the wires from the pedal potentionmeter to the injection ecu chaff through behind the dash. iv had to replace the wiring but its quite a job.

VW T4 van, 172 cup
il give that a check this week and hope thats its not! sounds like it would be a pig to change!