ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another non starter

I have searched the threads and I ahven't managed to find a problem the same as mine.

Car is a Ph2 Cup 172
The car will crank but fail to fire on some occasions.

The problem seems to be when the engine is ever so slightly warm, say if the car has been driven up to temperature and then left for a couple of hours, or driven for a short distance (say around the corner to the shops), then turned off for a few mins.

The immobiliser light is going off at all times.

I have checked the relays in the fuse box, and even tried swapping the injector and fan relays around. This made no difference.
No fault codes are coming up.

The temperature gauge behaves what I would call normally, and the fan kicks in during traffic.

Spark plugs were recently changed and the car still has the issue. The plugs all looked normal when the came out.

Has anyone got any ideas as to where I should look first?

To me it is as if the engine isn't getting any fuel, but I may be wrong. I would have expected the engine to fire on some cylinders if it was spark related?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
dimilar to mine is the trip computer on the dash clocks resetting itself if so the battery is a problem,i changed the coolant sensor and battery and this solved mine

I don't think the battery is the issue, as it cranks very wel, and there is no problem with the trip computer resetting.

Crank sensor could be the cause I suppose, is there any way to test the one on the clio?

I know on some cars you can measure the resistance with a multimeter as over time the coils break down causing a high resistance and a loss of output.

I have just ordered a new crank sensor. I didn't realise that they were so cheap, so for what they cost it is worth eliminating it from the equation. :smiley:

182cup & 172 racecar
I would start with crank sensor, has it only happened since plug change? if so, check cover is sealed correctly.