ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young newbie

Hi guys

Names Jack and im 16 (17 in november)
Time will fly because of exams and summer and then by the time i know it i'll be 17 and driving :cool:
So im looking for a nice sensible first car, and i also really like clios so i was thinking on getting one, even know the insurance is going to kill me. Thanks

RS 182 CUP
clio 1.2 16v is a good first car. its easy to repair, parts are easy to come by, and theyre easy to modify/personalise

I appreciate this sounds dull at first, but it might be an option.

I'm sure I'm just like you in that I absolutely love cars and couldn't wait to get on the road and have something to tinker with. Unfortunately at our age (and I was lucky enough to have a "risk catagory A" postcode, check yours here) insurance is easily £2k + for a 1.2 which over 2 years is £4k plus the cost of a car. I went on my mum's car and insurance for the first two years, thus saving enough to now own a Renaultsport Clio 182 at the age of 19. Now that is what I call a reward for being patient, especially if you're going to go to uni (thus not have a full time salary)

P.S. Bell/Admiral/Elephant do a bribe where they will give you a full NCB even if you do not earn a NCB (e.g. being on mum's policy) if you supply the policy number. E.g. I did not earn NCB on mum's policy, but now that I've taken out insurance with Bell & not had any claims, they are happy to give you 2 yrs NCB which is worth £600 a year in my situation.

You should probably just get a (16v) 1.2 or 1.4 and enjoy the freedom...

I appreciate this sounds dull at first, but it might be an option.

I'm sure I'm just like you in that I absolutely love cars and couldn't wait to get on the road and have something to tinker with. Unfortunately at our age (and I was lucky enough to have a "risk catagory A" postcode, check yours here) insurance is easily £2k + for a 1.2 which over 2 years is £4k plus the cost of a car. I went on my mum's car and insurance for the first two years, thus saving enough to now own a Renaultsport Clio 182 at the age of 19. Now that is what I call a reward for being patient, especially if you're going to go to uni (thus not have a full time salary)

P.S. Bell/Admiral/Elephant do a bribe where they will give you a full NCB even if you do not earn a NCB (e.g. being on mum's policy) if you supply the policy number. E.g. I did not earn NCB on mum's policy, but now that I've taken out insurance with Bell & not had any claims, they are happy to give you 2 yrs NCB which is worth £600 a year in my situation.

You should probably just get a (16v) 1.2 or 1.4 and enjoy the freedom...

Definately do NOT do as this man says.

If you unfortunately have an accident and the insurance company does a bit of digging and finds out that its actually your car but you are insured under your parents name then effectively your insurance is null and void which will cause all sorts of problems in the future with insurance.

Best advice is to shop around insurance companies and add your parents on to your own policy as named drivers (providing they have a clean license and have no claims against their name) which should bring your premium down a little.

Welcome to the forum anyway and good luck with car hunting :)

Thanks lads :)

Steven: Im not going uni because of the stupid debt now but im staying on at school for another 2 years but i already have a part time job so im just going to save that up for insurance + few mods.

Definately do NOT do as this man says.

Chill out :L Sorry if it sounded as though I was advocating fronting, which I'm not.

Ah well if you're going to be in full time employment in two years then you're all set really as any money you spend earn part time, you'll earn circa 4x or 5x that soon enough.

K

KieranKDog

ive told my insurance company that i will be driving the car the most between me an my mum and they said that its absolutely fine as long as i dont mod the car ;P