ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your experience of SMI Vs. TRW?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi I need to get some inner rod track arms, have been told about the fact there's two different types. Now my car was in the garage getting tracking done today so I told my mechanic to write down which type mine is for me from the rack, he says he couldn't find it anywhere! Said there was a mark where perhaps a sticker used to be, but now it's worn off.

He even phoned Renault and they couldn't tell him. Is there any other way to tell!?

Mine's a 54 reg 182 btw...

I've heard somewhere that early 172's are mainly the TRW ones... any more incite you can give is much appreciated!

Dodgy one
I ordered both, turned out smi then returned the wrong ones, Smi are a fine pitch thread

pb ph2 172
no label means smi
trw is imbossed on the rack clear as day
also found most pattern part inner tie rods are 10mm to short (not good)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Let's hope I've got an smi rack, what are the chances? When you say pattern parts are too short are you refering to a trw rack?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Thanks everyone, should be ordering parts tomorrow. I've been told my rod ends are fine so only the inners need replacing... any idea on a rough labour cost?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Had the track rod ends done a while ago tbh, had the tie rods replaced today. Yeah big difference coupled with the tracking getting done.