ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your Favorite/worst Racing Sim?

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
NFS U2, at the time it didn't leave my ps2 for about a year. The options were awesome.

Apart from that, Forza 4, its too epic.

RS Clio 182
If we are talking all-time - TOCA Touring Cars & TOCA 2 by Codemasters on the PS1 would be in my top 5 - remember opening it on xmas morning and being amazed by the taillights reflecting on the ground at Donington. The actual racing & damage was amazing aswell.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
First one to say it sounds like GT5 will be a certified self-sex professional

Moar classix!

And, of course, the first game I ever saw which just involved pointlessly driving about like a tw@

Jesus - I had all of those bar the TOCA one on the PS1. The Test Drive follow up (The Duel) was the one that kick-started my love for the Porsche 959. To this day, I would buy one of those in a heartbeat if I won big-style on the Lottery!

Buggy Boy was simply epic on the Amiga. It came with the bundle I got - loved it!

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Ibiza SC
First game i got got for ps1 was rage racer, bloody fantastic

If we are talking all-time - TOCA Touring Cars & TOCA 2 by Codemasters on the PS1 would be in my top 5 - remember opening it on xmas morning and being amazed by the taillights reflecting on the ground at Donington. The actual racing & damage was amazing aswell.

and the original colin mcrae. sat up doing 24hr races on the original GT.... good times.

Stunt Car Racer.

Amiga 500 circa 1992.

The game itself was merely good. What made it absolutely epic was the fact that it was the first proper multiplayer game I played. We hooked up 2 Atari ST's in seperate rooms, linked with a ye olde RS232 cable and played hour after hour of Stunt Car Racer. It was astonishing to me, in those early days, that the guy I was racing on my computer was another person controlling their car from their own computer. Amazing stuff.

Populous and Vroom were the other games we played.

Listerine & Poledo
Stunt Car was pretty good, but I was waff at it.

Another Geoff Crammond masterpiece

trying to get around the loop was a b1tch

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The game itself was merely good. What made it absolutely epic was the fact that it was the first proper multiplayer game I played. We hooked up 2 Atari ST's in seperate rooms, linked with a ye olde RS232 cable and played hour after hour of Stunt Car Racer. It was astonishing to me, in those early days, that the guy I was racing on my computer was another person controlling their car from their own computer. Amazing stuff.

Populous and Vroom were the other games we played.

Lol! Those were the days! In the current iPhone/Android world, that was on par with sending texts via smoke signals.

Me and a mate got F-16 working on our Amigas using RS232 the same way (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-16_Combat_Pilot) - and just as you say, realising that that other plane shooting at you was your mate, made all the difference! Actually, I used RS232 for years afterwards - the original Doom and the first Command & Conquer games were played between us at uni on two PCs that way. Messing about with baud rates, flow control, etc?! Young's these days have it piss easy with XBL and PSN... :)

D.

Listerine & Poledo
OH MY GOD! Yes, Falcon on the Atari was also amazing. I never did hook up 2 ST's for that, but the good ol RS232 port was the stuff of champions.

Monaro VXR
Not a single mention of Metropolis Street Racer on here... Disappointed thought this forum was full of Dreamcast fans.

Was pretty much my favourite racing game of that time.

Actually, I used RS232 for years afterwards - the original Doom and the first Command & Conquer games were played between us at uni on two PCs that way.

Oof yeah, we killed entire nights with Doom, Hexen, Descent, C&C and Duke Nukem3D over 2 hooked up 486's.

Anyway, back on racing games - I'd forgotten all about V-Rally. That game was superb. I spent most of my 2nd year at university playing that game - 1 on 1, winner stays on. Good times. Pretty much all we played till Tekken 2 came along.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I loved the original Gran Turismo on the Playstation, and then GT4 on the Playstation 2.

Worst ones for me was any of the toca's.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Best - Chase HQ on the Spectrum and Mario Kart Double Dash on the GameCube.

Worst - GT5. Dull, linear and with over complicated menus and options.

Listerine & Poledo
GT5. Dull, linear and with over complicated menus and options.

LOLZ!!?

What?

Linear? You race cars around in circles, much like any other racing game with circuits.
Dull, well, maybe, I'll pass that
Overcompliacted? Seriously? Go play bloody mario kart...

Sorry, that's getting overangry pointlessly. Did you mean things like the set-up menus?

Monaro VXR
One thing on GT5 I just think is f**king stupid, paint. Not sure if they have patched it out not played it for ages, was going to fire it up again the other day when I saw the multiple GB patch. Just thought, nope not interested.

However, having to buy a car to paint another car the same colour is f**king retarded. No other word for it. So I have to buy a car the colour I want, then I get a single use paint of that type. So to paint two cars the same colour. I have to buy 4 cars, I can't just pay for paint. I mean who in their right mind thought that was logical? To make matters worse, I couldn't even buy my car with the standard factory paint it came with in game. Oh no, it's not an option. So I had to purchase a car of a similar colour so I could get it to a factory colour!

GT5 was a crushing disappointment but only because it's predecessors were so good. It's not a bad game in itself.

Though it did wind me up the other day - Trying to enter a European Hot-hatch competition and was really struggling to find a decent hot-hatch. When I finally did it told me that I had to buy summat online to use that car. f**k. That. Ended up with an RS Meggy IIRC.

275 Trophy
My list...

rFactor
GTL
RBR
GPL

This is the deffinative list, +1

Out of that Richard Burns Rally for me. It wasn't the graphics or the cars, but the brilliant way they mapped the force feedback to the wheel. You could steer the car with the throttle almost blindfold, such was the depth of feeling you got through the wheel. Bare in mind this is now 8 years old.