ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup identification

BMW 1M
Hi

New here, trying to find a tidy 172 Cup as a summer toy. I'm sure it's been asked before but what's the best way to identify a genuine 172 CUP car? Initially I thought it was the CB1N chassis number designation but not sure now after some reading

Thanks in advance

the_baron_von_richthofen

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172 Cup
Most Cups are Mondial Blue with a rare few being in Silver.

The seats will only be basic and the trims internally will be Mondial Blue, including the clock surround.

I cant imagine many fakes being around with the unique colour.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
There's quite a few differences, the interior is usually the easiest to spot on advert pictures.

I've not heard of anyone (properly) trying to pass a regular 172 off as a Cup, but as prices increase anything is possible.

BMW 1M
That's link is helpful thankyou, where is the abs pump on a 172 ? Would it be obvious in photos ?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
That's link is helpful thankyou, where is the abs pump on a 172 ? Would it be obvious in photos ?
Just behind the front passenger wheel arch - see arrow.

pump.jpg

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Headlights are another obvious one, far easier to spot than peering into the engine bay looking for an abs pump.
No xenon’s on a Cup.
If it’s the right colour, has the right interior and headlights I don’t think you’ll be wrong about it being a proper Cup.

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Headlights are another obvious one, far easier to spot than peering into the engine bay looking for an abs pump.
No xenon’s on a Cup.
If it’s the right colour, has the right interior and headlights I don’t think you’ll be wrong about it being a proper Cup.
Good point on the lights, they won’t have the washers either.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
A big obvious difference is the back seats, there is only 2 seatbelts in a 172 Cup, all other Mk2 Clio's have 3 seatbelts with the middle 1 being attached at the roof

20191111_141958.jpg