ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Manifold repair

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
What's the best solution for repairing or replacing this crusty, flimsy & knackered flange on a 182 manifold?
IMG-20221119-WA0009.jpeg

Mini Cooper S R53
Best solution is bite the bullet and buy another one.

I cant see how this would be worth the hassle to repair.

After a fabricator has taken the time to repair the flange, it will only ever be as good as the repair...given the age and the corrosion it won't be long before it fails somewhere else.

Sorry, that wasn't the answer you were looking for were you lol

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
But buying another one (if you mean a manifold) just repeats the problem as they're all in similar untrustworthy state :ROFLMAO:

Although if you mean the flange itself, yes a new one would be nice but do you know what type of flange it's called & where you can buy 1 from?

Sorry, that wasn't the answer you were looking for were you lol
Sort of but it's my own fault for wording it like a mong :ROFLMAO:

Mini Cooper S R53
But buying another one (if you mean a manifold) just repeats the problem as they're all in similar untrustworthy state :ROFLMAO:

Although if you mean the flange itself, yes a new one would be nice but do you know what type of flange it's called & where you can buy 1 from?

Sort of but it's my own fault for wording it like a mong :ROFLMAO:
Don't worry, after trying to work out women for years, I manged to understand where you were going with this!

Is the manifold standard? if so then I guess you will be pretty hard pressed to find a decent spec replacement.

Just thinking out loud here, I used to know a really talented fabricator who could replicate parts from old rusty and corroded patterns. (He used to deal with classic cars). I'll see if I can find his details because it is possible to replace it, I just have no idea about the cost.

Where are you based?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Don't worry, after trying to work out women for years, I manged to understand where you were going with this!

Is the manifold standard? if so then I guess you will be pretty hard pressed to find a decent spec replacement.

Just thinking out loud here, I used to know a really talented fabricator who could replicate parts from old rusty and corroded patterns. (He used to deal with classic cars). I'll see if I can find his details because it is possible to replace it, I just have no idea about the cost.

Where are you based?
Yeah just a standard 182 manifold but going onto a 172 and I've got the ktec link pipe to go with it so wanted to stick with the oem spring/gasket fitting kit

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I repaired mine, I have a welder laying about so got the angle grinder out and cut the flange off. I left a little bit of the original weld as something to butt up to.

I cleaned it up and went wild with the retina burner.. been on there 2 or 3 years now and with a fresh bolt kit if stopped the blow/sag it had for about 10 years.

repair it…

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Someone will weld a new flange on for about 25p. It’s not a big job. If your really worried get them to add a V band onto it.

Given the original will be coming up to 20 years old, I wouldn’t worry too much about how long a replacement will last