ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 dead at TT

172cup
seen this on the news 2 mins ago.

I assume it was older guys? (whats a senior TT race)?

Got a feeling TT will soon be banned or something, as there are always people dieing there isn't there? (Dont quote me!)

Haven't read the link yet but re: banning it, I hope they don't - it's only human to want to push the limits. I get fed up with us being told what we can and can't do, and getting nannied into lazyness and relying on the government to tell us how to wipe our arse.

T

thecremeegg

^^ good point, spectator safety is of greater concern surely?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
seen this on the news 2 mins ago.

I assume it was older guys? (whats a senior TT race)?

Got a feeling TT will soon be banned or something, as there are always people dieing there isn't there? (Dont quote me!)

People have been dying, racing there for iirc over 100 years, so why ban it now?

Rally bus
from a spectator's point its no more dangerous than rallying

apart from the fact that the bikes go 200mph with the spectators at the road side and rally cars rarely go over 100mph (stage average speeds of the top cars are usually 60mph ish) and the spectators are generally in controlled safe zones. Yes some rally spectators go to other places but these are generally the ones who have been spectating for years and therefore have a fair idea of where is safe to watch. When was the last time you heard of anyone being killed on a Manx rally? The TT seems to have fatalities every year :S

Astra coupe
the TT has fatalities every year because the spectators are so close to the bikes. I love the TT, very good event. People get killed everywhere, 200 people in 100 years of the event isn't bad going really is it?

2003 clio sport 172
I felt sick when jeffreys died 4 years ago trying to break the record, but he knew the risks!!
If he wanted to race round designed circuitshe would have but then theres his family and wife now to pick up the pieces!!! They wont ban it but i agreee spectators safety must be paramount...

titanium 182,
went along this year and it was great i have been to many racing events car and bike but nothing makes your hair stand on end like watching the tt.
its awesome i feel for the racers that die and also the spectators :dapprove:
i guess we no and go with the risks when over there. doesnt make it any easier to the people left to pick up the pieces. also the tt makes 85% of the islands income and is part of there heritage ingrained in there way of life.
i just have to say 201 mph down bray hill is just unbelievable
they do a lap in roughly 18 mins after driving around the tt coarse you wonder how its possible :eek: it is an experience that any petrolhead should go and see atleast once R.i.p all the late great kings of the hills :hail: :hail:

307 hdi (powered by derv)
just read it in our local paper and its all over the front page. Lives just round the corner from me in Kidderminster. Why though was he and another specator killed? wheres the safety?

Yaris Hybrid
Well you can sit 10 miles away from the track behind a dozen fences and view the action through a pair of binoculars like you will if you attend the British F1 GP at Silverstone. That however is boring.

Unfortunately things are only exciting if there is an element of risk involved. If you want to sit on a grass bank 1 metre away from full factory superbikes travelling at 200mph then there is a potential price to paid.

They have restrictions on where you can sit but I have seen vids on youtube where people are filming in prohibited zones and even point the camera at the prohibited zone sign and laugh. In this case they were probably in a legit zone but as you all know when you attend a motorsport event it is explained that it is dangerous etc.

If you go to watch something where people die every year I guess you go fully aware that you might see someone die and even get caught up in it yourself. Anyway far more people are killed riding to and from the races than actually sat on the flippin track!