ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

550D - Where to buy?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Thanks guys, do you reccommend this camera? I currently have a 400D, is this a worthwhile upgrade?

14' Leon Cupra 280
I highly recommend them, they're an awesome piece of kit for the money. It's how you use it at the end of the day :)

I shot this last week with the 550d
[video=vimeo;13202980]http://vimeo.com/13202980[/video]

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
That video quality is fantastic!!!! Im an Estate Agent, using a 400D and Sigma 10-20mm. I would like sharper pictures and will enjoy playing around with the video, its something I really want to get in to.

14' Leon Cupra 280
Yeh it's a cool feature! I'm currently shooting 50% photos, 50% videos at the moment. The 550d with 10-20mm will be really good for interiors for both photos and videos. I ended up Part-Exing my 5d for one, so no help on where to get one :(

14' Leon Cupra 280
Whilst I want to say yes, it depends on how they will be used. If they are going to be resized to 800px for a website then probably not, printing an 8x10 side by side might be better to compare. Like I said in my first post it's how you use it, and to an extent what lens you are using.

Taken from a forum discussing 400d vs 550s vs 7d:
1. Don't buy a new body for image quality (anything above 8-10 Mega pixels is fine) unless you are looking for high ISO quality.
I just sold a 400D for a 550D, I don't really see any image quality difference the 400D took great photos. I do have more ISO performance, can crop in on photos without losing quality,.. but really the video is the big thing for me that and the LCD is much better!
Think of a new body as new features (faster focus, higher ISO, faster shooting) but not better image quality. That being said if you like to blow up your prints to a HUGE poster size then higher Megapixel will help.

2 .I agree with others... it's all about the glass and how the camera is set up... understanding light has a lot to do with it too... and maybe he done some post processing... do you shoot RAW
confused3.gif
lots of reasons his photos may look better but there really isn't that much difference in the 2 bodies...

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Hmmm, I guess its more a case of, will I use the video function much more?

The only other option is to go for a HD camera, but then I dont have the functionality to change lens over etc.. hmmm tough call!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Just a quick bump,

Im going to be buying the new slr over the next week or so, but im torn between the 500D and the 550D. The main function I will be buying the cam for, is the HD video and for a larger sensor than my 400D.

Is the 550D worth the extra 200 or so ££££££££???

Sam

Cupra
The sensor is the same size in the 400D & 550D, the pixels are just denser.

The 550D only seems to be worth the extra over the 500D for a few extra controls in the video and slightly better high ISO performance. I'd be temped to make the saving and stick with a 500D and use the savings on an extra flash or glass.

A second hand 7D would be a gigantic leap forward for you though. :)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Cheers buddy, I will pop in to Currys and have a play on both cameras before comitting to anything. The 550D felt nicer in your hand from memory.

The sensor in my 400D is the same as the 550D? i thought the 550D had the new one, well, thats what the chap in Currys said!

Cupra
It is a new sensor and has more pixels on it, but it remains the same size. The only cameras with bigger sensors from the entire Canon range are the 5D (I,II), 1D (I,II,III,IV) & 1Ds (I,II,III).

Cupra
This image shows the different sensors.

The 5D & 1DS both have 35mm "Full Frame" sensors. The 1D has APS-H and the XXXD/XXD range have APS-C. The APS-C sensor has not changed size since its introduction in the 10D/300D and the D60 before that AFAIK.

DSLRsensors.png

14' Leon Cupra 280
thats what the chap in Currys said!

I'd never listen to anyone in a shop. Just go and buy one :) Stop worrying about sensors and stuff. Why not take a cheap SD card into currys with your 400d, take some pics on both cameras, take them home and have a look at them?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
LOL, I think im still going to get the 550D - I would regret not getting the better camera over the sake of a few 100 quid.

Cupra
Lol, that's what I told myself and ended up talking myself up to the 5DII! It will definitely keep you happy for a while. Enjoy.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Maybe a 5DII will come in the future, for now, I will see how I get on with the new functions on the 550D, want to get in to the video production and I think with the extra video functions the 550 has, it will be a great starting point.

Now..... to buy some new glass!!!!