ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Additional drivers...

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I can't seem to find this in stone anywhere.

A lot of younger drivers these days have additional drivers on their policy who have a much better driving history than themselves to bring down the premium.

For the past two years, I've avoided doing this because I always thought it would be a hassle, and I got a good quote both years that matched my quotes from Admiral and the like anyways. This March I'm looking at getting a 182, and at first glance it appears this time round adding named drivers will bring my premium down.

However, there are a few things I'd love to be able to make sure of before I go down this route;

If I, the main driver, crash the car and make a claim or a claim is made against me, what will the impact of this be on any additional drivers?

Do the additional drivers need to inform their own respective insurers that they're an additional driver on my policy?

Do the additional drivers need to live at the same address?

And finally, in the event of a claim, what (if any) input will any additional drivers have to have in claim process.

If adding named drivers really is as simple as getting my Nan's details and sticking them on my insurance then I'll do it, but I don't want to do it if it's going to be a nuisance for any additional drivers.

Any answers appreciated, thanks.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
adding named drivers really is as simple as getting my Nan's details and sticking them on my insurance

Pretty much. No impact upon them if you crash, and they won't have to do anything. They may wish to tell their insurer that they're insured on another car but I don't think it's a legal requirement.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If you crash, only you will be affected. No one else can be held to blame if they are on your policy as named drivers.

I've had my mum/dad on various policies over the years (9) and i've had more hits than the beetles and they haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's fine so long as you're the policy holder.