ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on first car

Ford fiesta
Hi, my 17 year old son woulx like a Renault Clio for his first car when he passes his test. Please could someone advise me of a model with a small engine size and low tax. The insurance is going to be a killer axe a new driver The 1.1 looks like £140 tax but the 1.5 cheaper tax , am I correct with that.
Also does Tce mean it is a turbo ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hi Karen,

Welcome to the forum. If you're after low tax it might be worth looking at the mk2 1.5dci clio that comes along with £20 tax. Only problem being it might be more expensive to insure so it's swings and roundabouts really! You do get the benefit of it being a diesel so good MPG and the engines do just keep going and going if you get one thats been well maintained.

My first car was a 1.2 2002 mk2 clio, my insurance was £1200 with my mum as a named driver. Depends a lot on budget for how you want to go.

TCE does mean turbo, correct.

Ford fiesta
Thanks for the reply. I think the cheaper insurance will probably need to take priority over cheaper tax. Are all the 1.2 engines petrol then ?
Will definitely put myself on the insurance as well to bring the price down a bit.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply. I think the cheaper insurance will probably need to take priority over cheaper tax. Are all the 1.2 engines petrol then ?
Will definitely put myself on the insurance as well to bring the price down a bit.
I believe so, regardless of age. What sort of shape are you looking for?

RB 182 FF
What sort of budget are you looking at? The 1.2 petrol Mk2 Clio is quite a nice little run about, my ex had one and I really liked driving it, I can't imagine getting anything much cheaper to run but then I'm an old git now so I'm out of touch with insurance for youngsters...

RB 182 FF
IMG_20200115_225820.jpg

This sort of thing can be had for peanuts now if this is what your son has in mind...

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I think our neighbor across the street bought his daughter a five door Mk2 Clio as the insurance was apparently way cheaper than for a three door.

Something to do with the crash statistics maybe? Might be worth getting a couple of quotes for different cars online?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Hi karen!

Insurance wise I have a couple of links to try

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/. Use Reference 460000

or

https://myfirstuk.com/ use reference Sash Salmon

Mk2 Ph2 clios from 2001-2005 in diesel guise come in 3 different powers 65bhp, 80bhp & 100bhp. The 65 & 100 are £30 tax and the 80 is £20. They are all turbo diesel cars.
The tCe you speak of came in the Mk3 after 2006 and is a petrol turbo 1.2 (I believe - although happy to be corrected.) They also did a 1.5 diesel in the Mk3 shape again with a couple of engine powers of which I’m not exactly sure about.

Good luck, if you’ve any more questions please ask!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Karen,

Welcome aboard! As you're probably well aware that insurance is a minefield for anyone - worse when you're a new driver like your son. Just double-check everything - sense and logic for the rest of society, doesn't always transfer to the Land of Car Insurance. Don't immediately dismiss what you think might be a more expensive car to insure - that's not always the case.

Take my first car. I was going on 22 at the time, but passed my test when I was 17. I didn't want to buy a banger - and instead got a 5-week-old car - a Punto 1.6 8v Sporting. Yet I had some insurance quotes for a more sensible Punto 1.7 diesel (non-turbo) that were considerably more. Why? Because the engine size was larger.

Nothing about the Sporting being quicker, faster and more desirable to steal - OR being more expensive to buy and by that logic, more expensive to repair in a crash. That huge engine increase of 100cc bumped up the premium considerably.

I renewed just yesterday on the 182 for £325 as a comparison. Though some online quotes wanted £1,600+ - a voluntary £900 excess charge AND a black box to be fitted. And I'm 45! 🤣

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good to hear it's not just me. 42, 20+ years of no claims (although most places wouldn't mirror it on a second car) no convictions or motoring offences and quotes of £1500+ on my £1500 172 to do 3000 miles per year.
It was like being 17 again.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
My son has just bought a twingo GT as his first car, insurance was £1300 but with a discount based on his adhering to the speed limits etc (black box)

Ford fiesta
Hi Karen,

Welcome aboard! As you're probably well aware that insurance is a minefield for anyone - worse when you're a new driver like your son. Just double-check everything - sense and logic for the rest of society, doesn't always transfer to the Land of Car Insurance. Don't immediately dismiss what you think might be a more expensive car to insure - that's not always the case.

Take my first car. I was going on 22 at the time, but passed my test when I was 17. I didn't want to buy a banger - and instead got a 5-week-old car - a Punto 1.6 8v Sporting. Yet I had some insurance quotes for a more sensible Punto 1.7 diesel (non-turbo) that were considerably more. Why? Because the engine size was larger.

Nothing about the Sporting being quicker, faster and more desirable to steal - OR being more expensive to buy and by that logic, more expensive to repair in a crash. That huge engine increase of 100cc bumped up the premium considerably.

I renewed just yesterday on the 182 for £325 as a comparison. Though some online quotes wanted £1,600+ - a voluntary £900 excess charge AND a black box to be fitted. And I'm 45! 🤣
Ho Darren , thanks for the advice. Will definitely will shop around.

Ford fiesta
Hi Karen,

Welcome to the forum. If you're after low tax it might be worth looking at the mk2 1.5dci clio that comes along with £20 tax. Only problem being it might be more expensive to insure so it's swings and roundabouts really! You do get the benefit of it being a diesel so good MPG and the engines do just keep going and going if you get one thats been well maintained.

My first car was a 1.2 2002 mk2 clio, my insurance was £1200 with my mum as a named driver. Depends a lot on budget for how you want to go.

TCE does mean turbo, correct.

Ford fiesta
Not sure , he just said he liked the Renault Clio. Hopefully around 2011, got about £2500 to spend.
What sort of budget are you looking at? The 1.2 petrol Mk2 Clio is quite a nice little run about, my ex had one and I really liked driving it, I can't imagine getting anything much cheaper to run but then I'm an old git now so I'm out of touch with insurance for youngsters...
That's good to hear. Got about £2500 to spend. Not a big budget but enough hopefully for a half decent first car.
Thanks for your reply

Ford fiesta
I think our neighbor across the street bought his daughter a five door Mk2 Clio as the insurance was apparently way cheaper than for a three door.

Something to do with the crash statistics maybe? Might be worth getting a couple of quotes for different cars online?

Ford fiesta
Thankyou , never knew that. I always prefer 5 door but he said he wasn't bothered. Will definitely look at 5 door now.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Imho, buy him a car that is considerably less than 2.5k and put the rest of the money either into the insurance or into an savings account.
Hes 17, hes going to he pulling up the handbrake down at McDonalds and reversing into walls. Once hes matured and actually learnt to drive, use that money to get a better car.

Clio 182 cup
Good to hear it's not just me. 42, 20+ years of no claims (although most places wouldn't mirror it on a second car) no convictions or motoring offences and quotes of £1500+ on my £1500 172 to do 3000 miles per year.
It was like being 17 again.
Wow I must be lucky I pay 196 a year with 10 year ncb on my 182

DCi 80
I bought a 60 plate Dci for a run around car, when not using the MX-5, it was £1500ish.

It's perfect. Has nav which is nice, auto lights and wipers and returning 51mpg... not great, but I have a shortish commute so it barely even warms up.